Kazimierz Dolny

Kazimierz Dolny Travel Blog

Kazimierz Dolny is popular with artists in summer. When I went there in spring it was a lot quieter, though there were still plenty of (mostly Polish) tourists. Just not so much that it became annoying. I have been to a lot of small towns in Poland, but I think this is the most beautiful one. It's old and picturesque yet lively. It reminded me of a seaside resort somehow. There are a ruined castle and watchtower on a hill, visible from most places in town. Harder to find (for once Lonely Planet gave fairly good directions, but it isn't marked on any Polish map I saw, nor signposted) are the remnants of a Jewish cemetary. Some tombstones (all with Hebrew writing, no Polish or Jiddisch or German here like on Warsaw's Jewish cemetery, so I couldn't read any of them) are scattered amongst the trees on the edge of the forrest, fragments of others have been pasted to both sides of a wall near the road, as a memorial to Kazimierz's once large Jewish community.

It's strange that this town doesn't show up on more backpackers' itineraries (just looking at this site - 0 TravBuddies going!), especially since it's halfway between Warsaw and Krakow, on the Vistula river. Perhaps it's because you can't get there by train, but it's easy enough to reach by bus, so I'm not sure about that.

Kazimierz Dolny