Farewell to Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

I happened to be in Berlin on the day of German Unification. Naivly I expected this to be the reason for wild parties, German Unification in my mind is still synonymous with extatic people breaking down the wall, Wir sind das Volk, the wind of change. But apparantly for a lot of Germans today it stands for unemployment and bad economy. 1 in 5 Germans (wessies, I assume) even want the wall back! If even a people that is so obviously meant to be united like the Germans can't get along, how much hope is there for the rest of us in the new Europe?

I visited the Musikinstrumentenmuseum, which was pretty cool, though I had a hard time not touching everything. I also went to the pictoplasma exhibit in Mitte, where my friend Aaron was DJing on the final night of PopKomm. Another night was spent in Renate comic library. And as I mentioned in the previous entry, I spent a lot of time in G�rlitzer Park.

On my last night in Berlin, I made a typical Belgian dish (witloof met kaas en hesp = chicory with cheese and ham) for a bunch of friends, which was a big success unless they're all really good at pretending to like something they don't. Anyway it was a good way to say thank you to all the people I stayed with in Berlin, and to prepare for going home.

The next day we (Mimi, Sofia and I) went shopping for second hand clothes. The coolest place was Garage in Sch�neberg, where you pay 14 � for a kilo of clothes! I bought a skirt and 2 T-shirts, which weighed about half a kilo.

Berlin really is the coolest city in Europe, though Antwerp isn't that bad either.

photo by: CFD