Berlin Travel Blog

Berlin is where I caught the travel bug. I had travelled before with family and friends, but this was the first place abroad I went to by myself, in the summer of 1999. It was just a few days, but it gave me a taste of what it was like to travel alone and stay at a hostel. I was fascinated by Berlin long before I actually went there. There's the history, and the fact that one of my favourite movies (Der Himmel über Berlin/Wings of desire) is set there and one of my favourite albums (Tender Prey by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) was recorded there.

Berlin did not let me down. I've returned countless times since, and I keep discovering new things. The first time I barely got out of Mitte, though of course I also had to visit the Siegesaule (Victory Column), which plays such an important role in Der Himmel über Berlin. I also took a walking tour, visited the Pergamon Museum (spent three hours there, and yet I had to return a second time during a later trip to see it all), the cemetary where Bertold Brecht is buried, Tacheles, the infobox, etc. And of course I saw all the historic sites around Unter Den Linden.

One of the things I love about Berlin is that every neighbourhood is different, so I only scratched the surface on that first trip. But it got me hooked. On Berlin itself, but also on travelling. The next year, I travelled around Europe for a month, visiting Berlin again, but also Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. And I kept going from there.

Liselore_Verschuren says:
Gefeliciteerd met je feature! :)
Posted on: Jun 22, 2010
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
Hey buddy, congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Jun 22, 2010
Berlin Sights & Attractions review
six museums on one island
Museumsinsel consists of 6 museums: the Altes Museum, the Neues Museum, the Alte Nationalgalerie, the Bode-Museum, the Pergamonmuseum and the James Si… read entire review
photo by: CFD