Dive Day #5 at Sipadan Island

Sipadan Travel Blog

After asking very nicely last night, I was able to get on the boat for Sipadan today. Sometimes it's best not to ask questions! :)

Today's dives were at South Point, Barracuda Point and Turtle Tomb. Instead of trying to recreate the dives this is the best way to describe how amazing these sites really are. At Southpoint, we were still floating on the water waiting for the others to get in. I put on my mask and looked below me and saw three turtles before descending. On this dive we saw about a dozen sharks and about the same amount of turtles.

At Barracuda Point we saw a ginormous school of Barracuda about 20 more turtles and just lots of everything.

We had our last dive at Turtle Tomb because a large school of 75cm-ish fish with bumpy heads were supposed to be in the area. Two days before we had seen about a dozen of them. When I jumped off the boat and put my goggles on I could see they were about 10m away (very good driving by our boat captain). There were about 50 or so of them and we swam along with them until we couldn't keep up with them anymore. After that it was lots of turtle, foot long trigger fish and then a huge school of Trevally.

It really is difficult to describe how amazing the diving is here. I think one of the divers summed it up well when he described the dive like this "I had a hard time deciding whether I should stay watching the shark or to turn around and watch the turtle".

It really is that amazing here :)
sshaunaa says:
Thanks... if you're ever in this side of the world, I definitely recommend making the trip to Borneo and see all the fishies for yourself! :)
Posted on: Jun 27, 2009
Verhoek says:
wow what a trip you made!!!!
you got some great underwather pics!!!!!
i also like diving!!!!
have a great time during the rest of your great diving trip!!!!

greetz Patick