Dive Day #4 at Mabul

Mabul Travel Blog

Today was dive day #4 instead o spending the day travelling as was originally scheduled. I told myself I'd only stay if I could dive at Mabul, because I wanted to dive the SeaAdventures converted oilrig.

Our die group today consisted of the couple from Switzerland, a guy from Perth, Chris, the guy from the UK I dove with yesterday, a guy from NZ and a few others I didn't really talk to.

Every morning a guy comes around with plastic bags of lunches to go for sale for 5RM each. It's either rice or fried noodles with chicken, tuna or calamari. They're all quite good so you can't go wrong. Two days ago, he showed up and didn't have spoons so he had to leave and go get them where ever he keeps them.
cuttlefish
Again this morning, he forgot the spoons, so once again he had to leave an go get some. You'd think spoons would be an easy thing to remember haha When he got back to the dive shop, all you could hear was "spoon" "spoon for you" "spoon" "everyone spoon". It made me laugh.

The dive day started out the same as yesterday since Mabul is near to Sipadan. On the first dive, we were offshore from the high end accommodation on the island. We saw 4 or 5 lare cuttlefish, which look kind of like a squid (that's what I thought they were until someone corrected me on the boat afterwards). There were realy cool to watch as their colour would change when you got close to them. Sometimes only one side or 1/3 would change colour. It was quite the sight.

There are a bunch of old boats and wooden structure sunder water which is where all the fish are.
angry cuttlefish
We saw a huge school of fish and a bunch of other things. It's difficult to keep track of what we see each dive!

After an hour laying in the shade on the island, we were out at dive number two, at SeaAventures converted oil rig. The owner purchased an oil oil rig, brought it to a site off shore of mabul and converted into a hotel. It's brightly painted and looked pretty neat from the outside. Although I'd rather stay on the island where you can lay on the beach if you want.

The dive site was really good and we saw lots of cool fish including:

- a HUGE moral eel with a head the size of a lof of bread
- a black frog fish
- a rock fish
- a family of lionfish (5 in all)
- nudibranch
- a few smaller fish that I don't know the name of
- a toilet

I wanted a picture sitting on the toilet but my dive buddy saw something in it so it's probably a good idea I didn't try to sit on it!

After each dive, we'd hop back in the water waiting for the others to surface.
me in a big school of fish
The water is so warm that I could just float in it all day long :)

We then had a an horu and a half long break on the island, again spent lounging in the shade. There was a cat that came over as soon as she saw us arrive. The first time we were there she cried none-stop but no one fed her. The second time, most people were eating lunch so there were lots of scraps to feed her. She ate pretty much every part of this guy's leftover chicken drumstick except the bone.

The third dive was on the other side of the island. We were going to 10 - 14 m so this time I brought my camera. We saw LOTS of turles including one that was about 1.5 m long. Besides that we saw a spotted ray and lots of smaller fish. The main thing was the large amount of turtles. I think I have a picture and/or video of every single one of them.

One of the divemasters had his camera so I can thank him for most of these pictures. Since my camera isn't supposed to go deeper than 10m, I can rarely bring it with me as we average 20 m each dive.

Thank you divemaster for the awesome photos!
sshaunaa says:
It's highly recommended but book ahead for Sipadan, definitely the highlight of the dive spots.
Posted on: Jun 24, 2009