Diergaarde Blijdorp

Rotterdam Travel Blog

Sumatraanse tijger

Anita (Irish Dancer) and I went to Diergaarde Blijdorp, one of the most beautifull zoo's in the country. I wanted to see this Zoo for quite a time, Anita comes here almost every year. But it is never getting boring, some are visiting this Zoo quite a few times a year. We were extremely lucky. Because it was a working day, it was not crowded. Even the rarest animals who usually are hard to spot were willingly to pose for my camera, which is just pure luck. First we walked slowly to my favorite animal: the tiger. It took a few minutes, but slowly the Sumatraanse Tijger paid us a visit and walked slowly to my camera.  After that we visited everything this Zoo has to offer: the Oceanium, Antartica (icebears), Nort America (bizons), South America (manenwolves), Africa (giraffe, zebra's), Europa (otter), Asia (tigers), Rivièrahal (kommodovaraan) and the old Victorian House (birds).

Bokito

The Zoo is so well-known because it has a great experience in animals. It was founded allready in 1857 and was since the beginning a big succes in Rotterdam. Because of it's succes, it moved to a bigger part of Rotterdam, Blijdorp, in 1937 and it is still there. Though havily damged by the war it continued to grow after the War and since than new parts are opened. The variety of animals is still growing. And last year the Antartica part with Icebears and Polar Foxes are opened. Now all parts off the world are presented in this Zoo.

Also the Zoo was in the news because of the escape off the most famous inhabitant of this Zoo, the Gorilla Bokito. This amazing Muscled Gorilla escaped in 2007 because he was angry on a woman and caused some damage of the restaurant.

IJsbeer
Now his stay is protected. When we visited it, Bokito did not show his self. People watched him in the back of the leftside of his stay, but no show of him. We took a walk round his stay, and in the middle of it we saw it amazing head from a great distance. A lot of people watched him in the middle, but could hardly see him. We continued to walk and made a last stop on the right. And then, suddenly, he showed up right for my camera, easily posing without a problem. I think a lot of people would be jealous of this moment, only 2 people with a camera were on the rightside, and I was one of the lucky ones.

Also amazing it was to see the Manenwulf. These shy wulf usually lives in the night, but today the young animals left their stayes and showed themselves during the day. Well, Anita and I spend 6 hours in the Zoo, I think it says enough off what we saw that day. If you stay in Rotterdam, perhaps this Zoo is a good idea to spend for great day.

gejah says:
this was a: mini mini mini mini meetup!!!! But nice pictures
Posted on: Jul 26, 2009
KeikoCreative says:
I have been there, is great:)
Posted on: Jun 06, 2009
irish_dancer says:
It was fun, Mathieu! we must do it again some day.
Posted on: Jun 06, 2009