Yosemite Falls and Mule rides

Yosemite Village Travel Blog

Yosemite Falls

Having bashed out in the miles yesterday we took it steady today, taking the shuttle bus down to Yosemite Falls.

The were different from Vernal and Nevada falls, in the fact the drop was much larger but they weren't as wide so the force of water was not as great. As it was early they weren't to busy, but at the path to the falls is short this soon changed. The is a loop round through nice woodland making it a very pleasurable experience, a good place for a picnic as well.

We then walked the short distance to Yosemite Visitors Centre, there is a great 3D model of the park and plenty of other interesting bits and bobs.

The afternoon was spent on horse (mule) back, as we took a trek up to Mirror Lake, although not much of a lake to see. I was on Dennis, who apparently was a bit cheeky and Catherine got Crow, a very flatulent Mule! The trek was through woodland and a good alternative to walking. Once at the top there were good views of Half Dome, although it was disappointing that you didn't get to stop off for a while. Turned round we started the descent back to the stables, throughout the trek your reminded not to allow your mule to stop and eat, a relatively easy task. That is until you mule decides he's had enough and makes a run for the luscious grass off the track near the stream. Luckily I had been on a horse before (have to thank my parents for those lessons as a child) so managed to get him back under control as the guide shouted to stop him. As I tried to turn him back onto the path he took off again, this time a little bit of panic crept in as his walk was now a trot. With the guide hot on our heels, I manage to stop him again but still he was adamant he was not going back to the path. The guide had to dismount and after a strong telling off complete with smack drag him back to the others, made the return journey a bit more exciting!

We stayed close to home for dinner and ate at the grill next to the bar, much better than the previous night, and finished off the night playing cards.

Playing in the trees
Playing in the trees
Catherine on Crow
Catherine on Crow
Dennis butt
Dennis' butt
He was behaved when he was tied up!
He was behaved when he was tied up!
Yosemite Village