Universal Studios

Universal City Travel Blog

Now, I'm not one for theme parks, it comes with the territory of being scared of heights, but Catherine having visited to the one in Florida assured me it was different and not just full of ride I wouldn't go on. And she was right, this is a great day out and a must when you visit LA.

We started with the studio tour, which was really good - informative and entertaining. It takes you round the lots where all the inside filming is done, you don't get to see in them though as there is filming going on most of the time, while we were there they were shooting Desperate Housewives. Then onto the area's used for outdoor filming which all have a little twist to keep you entertained. Films from The Fast and the Furious to Psycho from Jaws to Dr Zeus, I won't go into any detail so not to spoil it if you ever go but expect to jump (if you are going don't look at the photo's it will spoil the surprises!).

There are also some sets from well know TV programs like Desperate Housewives, a great start to the day.

Next was the Simpsons ride, I was a wimp with this one! I hate not knowing what to expect so walking into a dark room to sit in a rollercoaster cart didn't amuse me. However the ride was really good and once I realised you didn't move anywhere (it's a computer simulator) I relaxed and enjoyed it.

Make sure you plan your trip as some of the shows/rides have set times, one of which is Waterworld. Now if you've seen the film your probably thinking this won't be worth the queue, it is! The show is done with real actors and has brilliant effects with action that doesn't stop. Just be aware of the wet zones, you will get soaked!

Being a big Blues Brothers fan I wanted to see their show but we had a spare half hour and decided to go in The House of Horrors, seriously, if you have a heart problem or are of nervous disposition do not go in here.

I have never been so scared. Normal haunted houses I can deal with, I know plastic monsters won't hurt me, but this one has real people who follow you and chase you, RUN!!

The Blues Brothers was brilliant, arriving in the car from the film and singing the classic songs Jake and Elwood didn't disappoint. We were also treated to a bit of dancing from Crash and friends.

The park is split over to area's and having done everything we could for now (timings of shows) we headed to the lower lot. There is a behind the scene show for Backdraft which is a great insight into how the film was made, and it gets hot hot hot! Also worth a look is the special effects show, the presenters are very entertaining and they show you the tricks of the trade.

Next up was a ride I wasn't a fan of, Jurassic Park.

Again it was enclosed so I couldn't see what was going on but could hear screams and new there was a 80 foot drop involved! At the front of the queue I bottled it and sent Catherine in on her own, by all accounts it was a great ride though.

It was time for the next Shrek show 'Shrek 4D' and this was amazing, again I won't say exactly what happens but it's very clever how they do the 4th Dimension and you get to wear old skool 3D glasses too! Afterwards we went to the Terminator 3D show, this was good but after Shrek wasn't that impressive so I'd recommend to do this first so not to be disappointed.

Next to Universal Studios is Universal City Walk, basically shops and restaurants. We decided to stay up here for the evening and the fact there was a Abercrombie and Fitch made it a good choice (we don't have them in the UK).

After a bit of shopping we had dinner at Bubba Gump which was amazing, I loved it! It helps that I'm a complete film junky and Forrest Gump is one of my favorites, but even if you not go here and you will not be disappointed!

Catherine in charge, no change!
Catherine in charge, no change!
The Fast and the Furious
Susans House
Susan's House
Scary Psycho man
Scary Psycho man
We are the cartoon heros.....
We are the cartoon hero's.....
Curious George
Crash
Jake and Elwood
Jake and Elwood
Universal City Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A must for any Forrest fan!
I love this film and loved the restaurant too. Decked out with bits and bobs from the film it's a cosy place with booths to sit and eat shrimp off … read entire review
Universal City