Sky dive and piss up of the year!

Las Vegas Travel Blog

Luxor by day

We'd planned to do this on Wednesday but due to the President’s visit air space had been restricted so Thursday it was for our near death experience.

A skydive has been on my list of things to do, although I never thought I'd ever do it. We were picked up at 8am from the strip (strange place this early in the morning) by a minibus and set off to Boulder City Airport. After signing your life away and watching the funniest safety video in the world you get kitted up. Our jump was the third one so we waited outside to watch the first jumps, by know I was ridiculously nervous. It was a weird feeling, not so much scared (I'd been more scared on escalators) but buzzing off the adrenaline. After the second jump had landed we were taken back inside and paired up with our insane instructors.

Kitted up

We piled into the plane, 8 jumpers and the respective instructors, not the most comfortable of trips. You sit in your instructors lap so he can attached himself during the flight up, but at the same time you have another instructor on your lap doing the same with his victim! 10 minutes later and the door was opened, I will never forget the look of fear on the first girls face as she moved into position, now I was shitting myself!

Your told to swing your legs out of the plane and then just fall out, but by the time you have one leg out your instructor has already gone and seen as your attached so have you. You fall out backwards and all you can see is the plane and sky for the first few seconds. As your flipped round your hit by air flying into you face, for the full 45 second free fall I could only manage a large amount of swearing to express myself.

Think this is me

The parachute is pulled and you are nearly split in two as you go from a million miles an hour to one. Now as you glide down you can take in the surroundings, the Hoover Dam in the distance looked huge and glistened in the sun. You then take control and can steer yourself round to see the strip off in the distance. I was slightly calmer but still the only words I could say were obscenities.

The landing is hard work, you need to life your legs up so as not to get them caught underneath you and the instructor causing you to land on your face. I have no core strength and with my instructor shouting to lift my legs higher managed to land on my arse, soft landing.

What a buzz, this was possible the best thing I had ever done.

After you land you leave all you kit and bored back on the bus for home, all done and back at the hotel for noon. Brilliant!!! I was shaking from the adrenaline for the rest of the day as we tried to calm down with a bit of shopping for presents.

As it was our last night in Vegas we decide to hit the town, a friend from home was also visiting with her sister so we met up in Planet Hollywood for some buy one get one free offers. I was then outvoted for the choice of the next bar, the Voodoo Lounge, 51 floors up on top of the Rio. There was a free bus from outside Paris (I think) to the Rio, and the fact that we were the only girls on it only slightly concerned us. Once we arrived I tried to delay the inevitable with a quick drink in I Bar (expensive!).

I'm still not quite sure how they managed to get me in the glass elevator which scaled the outside of the Rio, but as a stared at the inside wall I tried to tell myself I was still on the ground.

Catherine coming into land
Once at the top it wasn't that bad, the edge of the outdoor area was set well back from the edge so I felt quiet safe. The views were amazing, defiantly the best of the strip, and the drinks huge, we only had to buy one as we were swarmed by blokes attracted to out English accents. Using this to our full advantage the rest of the evenings drinks were free, which may have had something to do with the fact that I can't remember getting the lift back down nor the taxi ride back to the strip.

At 3am we thought Vegas would still be thriving but as we reached the club ad Caesars we were told it was closed, so home it was!

Good times!