Four seasons in one day!

Death Valley Travel Blog

El Cap on the way out

We were up early doors to set off for our long 6 hour drive ahead, after a good feed at the buffet breakfast we left the valley and began the climb over Tiago pass. My great planning had allowed the pass to be opened 2 days before we left, some may say jammy!

We stopped at El Cap for some final pictures and a very kind gentleman next to us lent us his telescope. It was amazing, there was so many people up there, all the size of ants. You could see people running along the rock face to reach there next pitch, as a rock climbing beginner I was extremely impressed.

The drive out of Yosemite is as spectacular is the valley itself, as you climb higher and higher patches of snow begin to appear, odd when you sat in shorts! There is also a great view spot to look back down into the valley and see the back of half dome.

The snow got deeper and deeper and I couldn't believe there were still frozen lakes up here, the air temperature was still really warm.

We stopped off at Mammoth Lakes for lunch in the rain. The place was reasonably quite seen as it's a winter vacation spot, and unfortunately Devils Postpile NM was still closed.

Back on the road we then experienced the other extreme, the heat of the desert. It being my first time in a desert I was overcome by the dryness of the heat. By the time we reached Stone Pipe Wells (at sea level) after hours of driving through nothing the temperature was 118F (48C, for the Brits reading this).

After settling in to the Furnace Creek Ranch we did nothing but sit by the warm spring fed pool for the evening, it was to hot to even think about doing anything else

Veiw down Yosemite Valley
Great pool to myself
Great pool to myself
Death Valley Hotels & Accommodations review
Great desert stop off
We stopped for two nights in the Ranch on our way from San Francisco to Las Vegas. The rooms were great, comfortable beds and much needed air condi… read entire review
Death Valley