Bike tour

San Francisco Travel Blog

Possibly the best photo I have ever taken!

The one thing I learnt about San Francisco this day was that good god is it hilly!!

We took the cable car down to Fisherman's Wharf and hired bikes from Blazing Saddles for 24 hours. The path from the Wharf to the Golden Gate Bridge is really good and give great views of the bridge as well as taking you through the Presidio.

Up onto the bridge and you need to cross on the left hand side (from San Fran) this is meant to be a bike only path, but inevitably some people don't read or abide by the signs and get in your way. It was great, if not a bit scary at times, it's really high! Once over there is a great Vista point to pose for some shots of you and the bridge.

Catherine crossing
You can then bike down into Sausalito and get the boat across but both being, as we would like to think, athletes we rode back and set off on our bike tour.

Once off the bridge you join a road to continue through the Presidio towards Sea Cliff, where we stopped for lunch at China Beach. Now I know San Francisco is not usually a place you go to for a beach holiday, but the beach was nice and I was pretty certain we were the only non-locals there. It was a great place and we saw allsorts from a group of hippies dancing and singing to a group of swimmers professionally warming up in there wet suits and swim caps before running up the beach and swimming back, bit random but funny to watch.

Next we rode onto Lincoln Park, I wanted to venture down and look around Sutro Baths but as the road finished and the bike path should have started there was loads of tree branches and logs preventing us from getting to it, quite disappointing.

So we took the road to Golden Gate park. It was the Bay to Breakers, which is an annual 12 mile cross city race, the park was a mess but it was very entertaining to see all the competitors (some in a right state) finishing the final bit dressed as flamingo's, robots and Smurfs among others.

We then went past the Pan Handle, through The Haight and past Buena Vista Park and all its hippies and onto Alamo Square to see the Painted Ladies. After a quick break for photo's we continued down through Cow Hollow and back to Fort Mason to return the bikes, with sore legs and bums! No idea how far we rode, but it was a long way!

After the cable car ride home we were knackered and starving so didn't venture to far for food and found Loris Diner about four doors up from our hostel for the best burger I have ever had! :)

Possibly the best photo I have eve…
Possibly the best photo I have ev…
Me on my way back
Me on my way back
Windmill in Golden Gate Park
Windmill in Golden Gate Park
Painted Ladies
Painted Ladies
On the tram on the way back, Alcat…
On the tram on the way back, Alca…
San Francisco Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Best burger I have ever had
I visited the Lori's on Mason, a block from this one as it was nice and easy from our base at the Hi hostel two doors down. It was excellent and ju… read entire review