Only for Chinese Food

Machala Travel Blog

So, I decided to head to Machala before Cuenca, because I had a few days to kill. I had to take the bus from Riobamba to Guayquil (which I disliked very much). The ride was beautiful. We were at some of the highest mountains in the country and we were actually driving right through the clouds. You would look out the window and it would be just white. Or you would look out and they would be below the road. It was a crazy, amazing experience. Then from Guayquil to Machala. This was a terribly long bus ride. Scenically, it´s worth it.
Machala is about 7km from the Atlantic Ocean with a quite humid climate. There is nothing in this city. It´s quite dirty and you can barely breath in the air without choking. It took me at least an hour to find a place for internet, which, I know, isn´t a big deal, but compared to the rest of the country, sort of is.
What Machala lacked in good restaraunts, it made up for with a really good Chinese Restaraunt, it´s the only one listed in Lonely Planet and I ate there twice. Huge huge huge portions (about 3 times the amount we serve at JJ´s for half the price) in a nice, CLEAN restaraunt. It was quite popular with locals, especially during the football matches.
As for my hotel, it was okay. 12 dollars for a second floor room on the main street (which meant loud) with cable and a private bathroom. I also had a gecko in my room who made several apperances on the wall. I´d go back to this city soley for the Chinese food.
After a long 3.5 ride to Cuenca, it was worth the wait. It´s wonderful here. I´ll get into that more once I have been here for a while, though.

Until then.