Lima Travel Blog

 › entry 8 of 9 › view all entries

So, I decided to go to Lima with Claudia. We left at 10pm on Wednesday night and arrived in Loja at 3:30am Thursday. We hung out in a 24 hour restaraunt at the bus station until 7am when our bus left for Piura, Peru. The border crossing was at Machala and it was not a hassel at all. We ate lunch there too. I passed my H1N1 test (they are paranoid about it in Ecuador) and we continued through desert....very hot...and very dry until we got to Piura. Our taxi driver drove us to various fancy bus companies and we went with ExcluCIVA which has 180 degree reclining seats. We had the seats on the double decker bus in the very front, so we got a good view. We received pillows and blankets, two meals and a gooood night sleep. It was probably one of the best nights on the trip so far for 120 soles (about 40 dollars). 9am the next day we arrived in Lima.

We met the family we were staying with and they own apartments upstairs so we resided in one of those. One of their relatives is a taxi driver so he drove us around with the family´s son and showed us around Lima. We went to a church/muesum that had cataycombs, which was really cool. Thousands of bones everywhere. We were not allowed to take pictures though. We went to the central plaza in front of the presidential palace. Then we went to the Pacific Coast where there is a mall and piers and restaraunts and so on, and wandered there for a while.

Saturday we went to the National Mueseum which was pretty cool. We saw a lot of Incan artifacts. The most interesting part was the exhibit upstairs where it had a photo exhibit of the Peruvian terrorists from the end of last century. It was veeery interesting. I highly suggest it. After that we went to the shopping center and wandered for a few hours. Then we went back to the house and took a nap at around 10pm. The three of us decided to go out again. We went to this big hub of restaraunts and we went into a dance club and hung out there for several hours. We wandered again and ended up being out until about 4:30am.

Sunday, we slept in until late. We were invited to go have homemade ceviche Father´s Day lunch at the taxi driver´s house. It was excellent. Yum. Claudia and I got dropped off in town and we shopped a little then wandered down to the coast shopping center again and went to go see ´Dan in Real Life´at the movies. We got ice cream and headed back to the house.

I left Monday, and I miss it dearly. It reminded me a bit of Chicago, and I love Chicago. My bus ride was not as fancy as the one we took from Piura. It was from Lima to Guayquil, Ecuador...27 grueling hours. Freezing cold at night. The border crossing was a huge hassel in Huaquillas because it receives almost 100% of the traffic. We had to stop the bus several times because of border patrol. I made it to Guayquil though and will write about that later.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: rsvpme