Here We Go.

Quito Travel Blog

View from the hostel
Well. The traveling part of my trip was not at all fun. I am so sick of planes it´s ridiculous. 26 hours of traveling is way to much. At least my planes were (mostly) on time. Miami blew. I was there for 9 hours at nighttime. I was really nervous and homesick on my way. The whole time I was like ¨why am I doing this? I could save two thousand dollars if I just don´t go." I didn´t eat much of anything the way here. I ate the peaunts on one of my flights (yes since NWA got bought out by Delta they have snacks now). Then when I got to MSP I ate half of my kids meal cheeseburger and a little diet coke and threw it all out. I tried again in MIA with a muffin and the same thing happened after 3 bites. And again on my flight from Miami to Panama. I ate the fruit out of my waffle breakfast.
On my flight from Panama to Quito we got this weird reheated hamburger attempt (failed, at that) so I ate Lay´s Potato chips, which coinsidentaly are better in Central America than the US, and whoppers.
As soon as I landed in Quito all of my doubts flew away. The question of, "why am I doing this?" became perfectly clear. I missed the smell of Quito..the distinct petrolly, dusty smell of it. In customs they confirmed me for lack of H1N1 and took my picture to go with my file. I got in the cab and he drove me about 20 minutes for 6 dollars to Hostal Casapaxi. The Italian owner greeted me and took me around this gorgeous guest house. She gave me a double private for the price of a single and mine room is huge and opens right onto the patio which sort of (past all of the other houses) looks over the city.
The hostal is complete with a full kitchen and living room with a TV. Also, I feel like I´m in the movie, ´The Others´at my hotel, because I need a key to get through whatever door until I get to the outside..so 4. I called home quickly so they knew I was okay then eight blocks to the Supermaxi aka Ecuadorian Walmart. I bought Bananas (6 for $.68), apples (3 for $.60), water, and my favorite candy bars, Kinder Bueno. Yum. I ate one of each for dinner and promtly passed out at 5pm until 6:30am. I tried to shower, but water is cold, so skipped it, but you can beat the price of less than $50 for 6 nights. I read Margaret Atwood for about an hour then got in a cab, which drove me to the Magic Bean, which is an (American?) owned restaraunt for breakfast. I got a huge 3-egg omelette, toast, and coffee for six dollars. I ate half of it, so my appetite is progressively getting better.
I also am having some altitude issues. We´re at about 3,000 m here. My hotel is unfortunately at the top of a giant hill, so I nearly died coming back up from grocery shopping yesterday. And I have some insomnia. Anyway, I´ll be back soon for more writing.

Until Later,

Nicole
Historic Old Town
Historic Old Town
Old Town and the Virgin of Quito i…
Old Town and the Virgin of Quito …
Grand Plaza