Wild weekend

Bakkum Travel Blog

Little robin

Oldest daugther had her weekend at home, celebrating her birthday with a bunch of like-minded "friends", turned out to be pretty wild, but husband was there to be of some guidance. It seemed not wise to let BJ stay at home so I took her and the cousin to Bakkum, where they practised their rascal occupations.

We had our own wildness this weekend, but this is more in the sense of wildlife. There were lots of small birds on our camping spot, different species of tit, and robins who had youngsters for they were still feeding them although they left the nests.

My sister and her daughter came to visit us, and in the afternoon we all walked to the beach. On our way I noticed some movement along our path, and it turned out to be a sand lizard.

Sand lizard
I 've never seen a reptile in the wild before, so this was a real surprise, realizing there only live 7 species of reptiles in the wild in the Netherlands. And I could even take picture of the creature.
Ofcourse there were lots of seagulls on the beach, and we saw many cormorants hunting for fish.

In the evening when my sister went home I took the kids for an evening walk, through a small woods, but found our path blocked by a herd of highland cattle. It seemed not wise to walk right through it because the herd is not complete without a steer, who was probably very close-by, so we went back on our paces, got off the path, climbed dunes, and had fun on this alternative course.

While getting back to the campgrounds again we were rewarded with a small bonus, cousin saw a busy little mouse (or common vole), and I managed to capture the little one, on a picture that is. So we could say we had the wild(life) weekend of our own.

Seagulls