Finally, as a start....

Bakkum Travel Blog

Our slightly bigger trailer
After years I finally was persuaded to go camping at Bakkum.

When I was a child (back in the sixties of the last century) I've spent quite a few summerholidays in the area, always had a great time, but when I grew up, I noticed the campingsite's sanitair- or toilet facilities.... And remembering all the warnings my Mom always loaded us with because of that, I did not want to camp with my own family there. Ofcourse we went to the area for day outs, for a hike and picknick in the dunes or sunbathing on the beach - I just loved and still love the beauty and peace of that place.

The area is a protected scenic area, very vulnerable, because the dunes are Holland's natural protection against flooding.
Kwetsbaar gebied - vulnerable area / Not allowed to walk of the paths

(Holland can be seen as Hollowland, exactly explaining it, hollowed out by water or floods (or even by man because of the need for fuel i.e. turf) and the land reclaimed from the water again thus lower than the surrounding water levels).

So finally the natural beauty of the area got the upperhand, and in August 1999, when I was bored of those always the same holidayparks, we set off with and old "tent in a trailer" gadget and got ourselves a nice spot at Bakkum campingsite, which is located in a woody dune area, not far from the sea.

Despite the 2 showers of rain we had (one lasted two, and the other three days) we had a marvellous week of camping, and thus we decided we would go camp there again the next year, but then in a little trailer so our clothes and bedsheets might stay dry, and for the entire summer season.
The fun of picking a spot, being outdoors, the salt smell of the nearby sea, the sound at night of a bird of prey, it all added to the family fun.
However, our trailer was a bit small, so in Spring 2001 we bought a sligtly bigger one, not too big though, just with room for 2 adults and 2 children, and went for another Summer season of camping.

Koralifix says:
Congrats on being today's feature! Good on you!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2009
Jacqinmiddenamerika says:
Van harte gefeliciteerd met je gefeaturede blog!! Way to go! :-)
Posted on: Jul 15, 2009
ik-ben-10eke says:
Het is een prachtige omgeving, dat verdient gewoon een blog :P
Nog een paar uurtjes dan ga ik weer die kant op, maar ik denk wel dat ik dan al te laat ben voor de markt ;)
Posted on: Jul 09, 2009
Our slightly bigger trailer
Kwetsbaar gebied - vulnerable area…
Kwetsbaar gebied - vulnerable are…
Bakkum