going ziplining at the islands, and chocolate hills

Bohol Travel Blog

Inside the cave!

I land in Tagbilaran Airport, I wouldn't even call this an airport, its a long patch of land, with a small building which is everything from customs, to baggage claim to waiting area...

Everyone showed up too late yesterday to do any of the activities so we got up early today to do everything!

I really wanted to do the 'suislide' but after looking at the 150m distance to the ground and 500m to the next mountain it was a little intimidating.  I told myself to do everything I was afraid of, and heights is my biggest fear so I was determined to do this.  Its not only you have to do it once, you have to do it TWICE... They strapped me into the zipline and yelled 'bombs away' and off i went, and WOW! This is fun :)
Once you are half way down the zipline, you feel like you are flying and you are ABSOLUTELY LOVING IT!!!
It was so much fun that I couldn't wait to do it again.
hmmm couldn't resist!!!

After we all finished the zipline and others did the 'plunge' we went caving.  This wasnt just walking through caves, you first had to climb all the way up the mountain, then climb inside the cave down the ropes... We were all wearing helmets with lights, and my helmet got alot of use that day, as I walked through the cave haha.  Our guides were very good, they helped us climb down into the cave and get around the cave interior.  Even though they didn't speak any english, I didn't have a problem understand them... We walked 2km through the caves, seeing bats, and even getting to handle little crabs which was really cool!  At the end of the cave we all got into a circle and the guides told us to turn off the helmet lights... They wanted us to feel what it was like to be in complete darkness! it was PITCH DARK! You obviously couldn't see anything but being a few km inside a came made for a FREAKY feeling!!!

We all had a great time caving and made our way back to the hotel.
Chocolate Hills in Bohol
  I wanted to ride the 'suislide' again, and ran to the site, but they were packing everything up and I didn't want to go across without the harness haha...

I decided to switch my flight and come back to Manila and spend one more night there so we had time for a quick 1/2 day tour of Bohol... Dennie, Toni and the others decided to stay as well for the 18th and join me for the tour.

After staying in a small room near the extreme activities location, EAT Danao, where they had NO cash machines, we went to the nearest town 1 hour away and saw a Cash Machine... We are back in cilivilization :)

First, we visited the statue dedicated to the leader of the longest revolution against the Spanish, which occured right here in Bohol.
They are amazing aren't they?!
  We also wanted to see the Chocolate Hills, we first stopped at Sagayan Peak.  Chocolate Hills are really beautiful mountain formations that when its not rainy season have a brownish tint so they look like they are made out of Chocolate!  I couldn't resist I needed to take a bite myself haha :)

We then stopped by the Chocolate Hills Complex, which has an observation deck high above so you get a great view of the hills.  We took plenty of photos, even had our taxi driver risk his life to get a group shot of us haha

We packed 9 people in a small van, all of our luggage and bags and food into a car fit for 6 people, but I tell you this car ride was one of the most enjoyable moments of my trip.  Too often people, me included are busy trying to take the perfect photo, or busy figuring out where they need to be the next day, that they really dont enjoy 'THE MOMENT'

Here I was sitting there with my new friends, even though there is a language barrier with a few, and we came from different parts of the world, I just sat there for a few minutes realizing that its NOT what pictures you take, but its the people that you meet and the experiences that you share together that matters.
Top of the Chocolate Hills Complex
  We might come from different sides of the globe but for the few days in Bohol I NEVER felt like I wasn't understood, I didn't feel like I was any different.  In that car and for those 3 days that we spent together, there was NO gap between us, what some lacked in english, they made up with personality!!!

It was sad saying goodbye to my new friends :( Sometimes you need to stop and realize how lucky you are.  I am aware that I am very fortunate to be able to travel like I have recently, and I try to make the most of this opportunity.  But as nice and pretty as the places that I have visited have been, it is and will always be the people that I meet that are the real treasures of this trip or any trip for that matter.

iodized_96 says:
Nice blog, glad you enjoyed your stay here :). Too bad I wasn't able to attend the manila meet up :(
Posted on: Oct 13, 2009
nomaden says:
Nice. :) u easily blend with people so it wasnt hard to get along with u. I wonder why we can talk english well on phones and not personally. Haha.
Posted on: Sep 14, 2009
hmmm couldnt resist!!!
hmmm couldn't resist!!!
Chocolate Hills in Bohol
They are amazing arent they?!
They are amazing aren't they?!
In deep thought lol
In deep thought lol
Ok I am a big kid at heart ;)
Ok I am a big kid at heart ;)
entire family on ONE bike...
entire family on ONE bike...
Got a little hungry in the cave!
Got a little hungry in the cave!
Group photo!