Last day in Bangkok, Ruby gets sick...

Bangkok Travel Blog

Bed looks like a crime scene haha

Now our hotel room is pretty nice, but the only negative really is the freaking freezing aircon.  Now the aircon I just mentioned brought us a present... it gave Ruby a cold! I wake up she is complaining of a fever, shivering, and its only 7:30am.  I wait for a few hours until the pharmacy is open and buy and electronic thermometer, I dont know this yet but this thermometer will become very useful later in my trip :)

After measuring her temperature I call a person who knows more about medicine than I do, my twin brother David, who is a doctor.  He does a patient history and as much of an exam as he could do over the phone on Ruby, and I spend the rest of the morning supressing the fever.  We have train tickets later on that night on the overnight train to Laos border, but Ruby has to get better first.  After alot of rest and some medication, we were able to suppress the fever and make Ruby feel good enough to decide to go to Laos.

Now we were on our way to the train station and I couldn't have been happier to leave Bangkok and Khao San Road.  On our way to the train station I constantly see people standing by the edges of the highways, leaning over the railing, maybe 20cm away from the traffic passing by... I first wonder what are they doing there, then it hits me, they are FISHING!!!  A dangerous way to feed your family...

At the train station we are sitting there and all of a sudden at 6pm a thai hymn comes on the loadspeaker overhead and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in the packed trainstation, couple of hundred people stand up in unicen... Ofcourse I stand up as well, Ruby is looking at me like, 'what are you doing?'.  I respond, I dont want to be seen as not showing respect to the king and go to prison or something!!!

A little bit of a history lesson...  Thai people have a profound love for their King, His Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX).   At 8.00 am and 6.00 pm every day, the Thai national hymn is played in public places(like trainstations lol).  Most people stop and stand still, a few don't. As a foreigner you're not expected to stand still, but when u do the Thais will of course appreciate it.  An example of what happens when u show disrespect to the king in Thailand in Dec 2006 a drunk Swiss man was sentenced to 10 years in jail after he sprayed black paint on a King's portrait on the king's birthday.  Showing respect to the local culture and customs is very important and not to be taken lightly.

klaartje1968 says:
We also experienced the hymn thing in BKK and also stopped walking like we felt it was important. :-)
Posted on: Sep 17, 2009