Halong Bay, Party Boat! & Where did Ruby's passport & credit cards go???

Halong Bay Travel Blog

Halong Bay

We get up early for the Halong Bay Tour at 7am... we had a choice of 2 different tours, one run by the Hanoi Backpackers Hostel, for $69 2day/1night tour.  The other was not run but the hostel, but they booked it for $40.  The only real difference was the fact was that the one run by the hostel was THE PARTY BOAT! So which one do u think we chose?!

So we were on our way to the PARTY BOAT, it takes 3 hours by bus to get to the pier where all Halong Bay tours leave from.  One of the kids that works at the hostel, Peter was the shaparone on the trip, the only representative from the hostel on the tour.  We take a short trip on a small boat to get to the large boat that we will be spending the night on.
  When we get to the boat, we put our stuff in our rooms and go swimming! People were jumping off the deck, off the top of the boat :)

After the swimming, we pair up and go kayaking... This was really cool because we got to see the Bay, the massive rock formations in the water, but from a completely different viewpoint, upclose!  We got to go through small caves while in our kayaks, which was interesting.  Then we stopped and went caving for a bit, and swimming in a hidden lagoon.  The shaparone, Peter told us that we must kayak all the way back to the boat, which was a good 3km away! 'You must pick up the pace if u want to get back on the boat before sunset' he said.  Why couldn't they just pull the boat up? Wouldn't that be easier???

On the way back to the boat, while kayaking it was really cool that we got to see the sunset in the bay! This was awesome, but because I already drowned one camera I didn't take Ruby's!

Back on the boat, we have dinner! There was so much food :) We all needed it because there is going to be ALOT of drinking! We all get stuffed with rice and chicken & fish and now let the drinking to begin.
..  On board there are 30 or so passangers, atleast 20 of them are from Australia, England or Ireland so u know this will be a fun night.  Most of the people on board were stangers but it didn't take long before drinking games started and everyone felt like best friends haha

Ruby took over DJ duties, she was doing a great job, setting a great vibe, everyone is having an amazing time!  At 2am we drank ALL THE ALCOHOL ON THE BOAT! All the beer is consumed, All the redbull is gone!!!

I carefully go to the deck on the top level of the boat, and I lay out on the deck chair just taking in what was in front of me...  The sky was full of stars as far as the one could see, mixed in with the silouette of the rocks in the bay!  Few times when u travel do you stop and take in the moment, but this was pretty awesome!

At 4am while I was chilling on the top deck, a few of my new friends decide its a good idea(it wasn't) to jump NAKED off the top of the boat into the water completely piss drunk.
The result of a good night!!!
..  I was not stupid enough to do that, so I just watched lol

We want to go to sleep so me and Ruby go down to the main level to grab her purse but she seems that her Passport and Credit Cards are MISSING!!! What??? We ask the only person who is awake, some Vietnamese dude, who is not telling us anything, and accuses one of our friends of taking them (yeah that is likely)... We start searching everything in sight! He asks us what room we are staying in, 'Room 208!' we say.  We wake up one of the workers, he tells us not to blame the staff, insisting that the staff didn't steal it.  We are not accusing anyone we just want to get Ruby's passport back, since we must go back to Thailand the next day.  Both Ruby and I are going crazy, and wake up some of our friends who are close to ask if they saw anything.
Also the result of a good night ;)
  When Ruby returns to her room 10minutes later, she finds her passport & her credit cards UNDER her bed... WOW! How did they get there??? obviously we didn't lock our door and someone must have returned the stolen property while we were looking around.  That is why they asked us our room!

Ruby goes down to tell the english speaking staff member that she found the passport  & credit card, and his response is, 'This happened the last time as well, they always get found"' What the fuck??? Its crazy, because if Ruby wouldn't check her purse she would just lose her passport and credit card forever...

The trip was amazing, I suggest everyone goes to Halong Bay because it is truly magical! Just be a bit more careful with your stuff, and LOCK YOUR ROOM!

its 5am and we go to sleep.
... They wake EVERYONE up at 7AM for breakfast... why the fuck???

NO ONE wants to eat, EVERYONE is hungover or still drunk... all we want was sleep!!!
dodootoplus says:
so, did you sleep in floor liek Ruby? :)
Posted on: Apr 14, 2010