Angkor Temples are amazing!!!

Angkor Travel Blog

Sunset in the halls of Ankor Wat

I arrive in Cambodia, and I have to get my Cambodian visa... If it wasn't robbery enough that I pay $25 usd for the visa, I now had to pay $10 extra because I didn't have any free pages in my passport left! I had to fill in a 'special request' to allow them to take my $10 and put the visa on an 'ammendment page'

When in Asia, if your hotel/hostel says you have a free pickup from the airport, it will probably be on a back of a motorbike lol
I land at Siem Reap airport and that is exactly what happens, a short Cambodian meets me at the gate and I ride on the back of his bike! I am kinda used to riding on the back of motorbikes after 4 weeks in again :)

My hotel was a bit out of the way from the others, on a side street.
Angkor Thom
.. As we pull up to the hotel, I see another westerner discussing transportation with the many tuk tuk drivers that swarm the hotel!  The locals call me 'Mr.Beckham' I assume that every white man here looks like Beckham to them lol... My new friend, Sylvia, was on her way to see the temples and her regular driver didn't arrive today.  You typically hire a driver for the day, but its cheaper to hire them for the week.  They have a replacement driver for her, and I ask if I can come along, I didn't want to see the temples alone.

We are on our way to the temples, 1st stop Bayon complex, you might have heard of it because it is the part of the main Angkor Thom complex that is home to temples with massive heads everywhere, symbolizing that you are always being watched i think!
It is so impressive here, Angkor Temples were discovered in the mid 1800's by the French and there are so many temples to see, one of them is Bayon.
Bayon faces are alive :)
  You can walk all around the temples and go up to the top levels and get a very different view.

After going through Bayon, getting up close with the many faces, we met up with your guide who took us to Angkor Thom.  He dropped us off and stated to say where he would meet us.  Unfortunately for us in the 3 minutes that  he was babbling all we heard was 'blah blah blah elephant, blah blah bridge, blah blah'  We nodded our heads and went exploring, only to make a wrong turn somewhere and get completely lost for a few hours.  We finally find our way to the main road, and see find our driver... By the Bridge with the 3 Elephants, OH THAT IS WHAT YOU MEANT!!!

We make our way to Angkor Wat, for the sunset.  Even though this main temple complex is the place where everyone goes to for sunrises it is amazing at sunset as well!  By the time that we showed up you can only go up to the 3rd level, and couldn't go all the way up to the top of the temple spheres.
Looking through the ceiling at Angkor Wat
  Walking through this massive collection of buildings is unbelievable, you really feel the history and for me it was great because so many interesting photographs.

Sylvia found this great spot to watch the sunset from, all the way in the corner of the complex, away from all the tourists, all the noise.  It was great you could just sit there and take in the moment and really appreciate the beauty of it all :)

There are security guards that walk around the complex and find people to kick them out, but apparently they missed us because we were not bothered until well after sunset haha

I would say this was a succesful first day in Angkor Temples, and Sylvia was very cool as well!

We went out for dinner that night, first taking in a show at one of the restaurants which featured local dancing.
Enjoying the sunset at Angkor Wat
.. Then made our way to the night market.  Now Cambodia is the first country that I have every been to that really does not want to have its own currency.  All they want is US Dollars.  And everything costs $1.  But because in the bank you get your money is 20's you have to be creative when you need change.  You might have to resort to buying beer for change! I ask the bartender, 'Can I have change for 20 dollars?'... NO he answers!

I ask, 'How about if I buy 2 beers? 'YES!' and he gives me 19 dollars back :)

Kju says:
wwwooowwww the pics are great!!!
Posted on: Sep 21, 2009
Bayon faces are alive :)
Looking through the ceiling at Ang…
Looking through the ceiling at An…
Statues at Angkor Wat