Brussels

Brussels Travel Blog

This happens when you don't pay attention to the stops - instead of Brussels you end up in Mechelen.
Many people have prejudices about Brussels, because it is the capital city of the European Union. So they associate it with huge gray buildings, borings laws and yuppies, of course. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but I sure was looking forward to that trip!

First thing I saw was the Belgian landscape from the train window. And that was enough to feel happy! It was amazing. The sky was blue and the grass was green. The landscape itself consisted of hills and fields and were covered with little colourful houses. For a moment I actually felt I was in a fairytale.

Throughout the trip I only had positive emotions. Brussels is amazing, it has something for everyone. I love the architecture! I could picture myself living in the times of Renaissance.
The buildings looked like something I have never seen before, although it is quite common in certain parts of Europe. Well, definately not in Estonia, so I was astonished. Everything seemed so aristocratic, and at the same time, all of this was surrounded with nice little parks.

We got to taste a bit of French. On one sunny morning we were looking for a place to get some breakfast and we went to this bakery. It seemed as if we had just crossed to boarder to France by entering that door. It was a rather small bakery with two French-speaking women as clerks. Them speaking loudly and all the baguettes created a very nice atmosphere. After leaving that place we walked happily to the park near-by to eat our breakfast and watch people rushing by.

I don't think that a holiday is about going from one sight to another to see all the important places for tourist.
For me, holiday is about relaxing, enjoying and experiencing. So the relaxing moments in the park are mostly the moments I cherish the most.

Here in Estonia with don't have many different cultures. It's just us, Estonians! So it was a bit unusual for me to see so many different kind of people and so many different cultures. At least the concept of 'global village' got more clear to me. I have nothing against different cultures, it is quite the opposite, in fact, because I love learning about those other cultures I know nothing about. It still takes a little while to get used to it, though.

You simply can't leave Brussels before trying out three things that are famous all over the world - Belgian beer, Belgian chocolate and Belgian waffles. So of course we tried them all out. On one evening we went to a pub that served I think it was over 1,000 different kind of beer. Now don't you worry, we didn't try out all of them! But it did get me thinking how happy I am that this kind of a pub doesn't excist in Tallinn - otherwise I would spend way too much time in there and probably drink more than I should.

Well, this was just a tiny bit of everything I saw and experienced in Brussels. Maybe another time I will write about the flea market or one Chinese food place over there. But I will finish this chapter off by saying how much I loved Brussels!
This happens when you dont pay at…
This happens when you don't pay a…
Manneken Piss