Chilling, but Willing

Ambleside Travel Blog

A river runs through it

I woke up nice and early, hungry and ready for breakfast, I was able to get a shower without any waiting and decided to strip the bed before heading down.  Guess what I found; yes you guessed it, my bloody watch!  That quilt cover was even tougher than I had first thought, pinching my watch off my wrist in the midst of our struggle the night before, but in the end I had triumphed and retrieved it!  Be thankful for small victories; that is my motto.

I dropped my bedding into the sack at reception and let them know I had found my watch, although it was now a male receptionist who did not seem as bothered as the others had been.  Breakfast was not the highlight of the day that I hoped it would be, a little disappointing and not an option I will choose again.  I then checked out and had my pack secured in the luggage room so that I could spend awhile chilling in the town.

The hostel is very close to the jetties for the Lake boat trips and there are plenty of other facilities close by, coffee shops, restaurants and souvenir shops, I decided to ignore all of these and head straight into town.  The day was overcast but trying to brighten up, and I had a pleasant walk into town for some essentials, stopping off at one of my favourite Ambleside eateries ‘The Apple Pie’.   I spent the day just chilling around town for awhile before heading back to the hostel to collect my pack late in the afternoon.

Once I was fully loaded up again, I headed off up to Loughrigg Tarn to camp, I could probably have made it all the way to Stickle Tarn, but I would not have arrived until late, I have plenty of time, it did not seem necessary to rush.  So I just wanted to get onto some high ground and out of the town.  I found a likely spot and set up camp in a sheltered spot within easy reach of the tarn for fresh water.  Of course the water will need to be boiled thoroughly.  The tarn is not particularly high, there are plenty of sheep around and as I had not been able to bring a purifier along boiling is appropriate.  I had packed enough dehydrated rations for seven days and my choice for dinner on this first night was savoury rice.  I always boiled extra water for the next day and before I retired into my sleeping bag I had boiled some more for a morale boosting hot chocolate.

I brushed my teeth and read a little before getting an early night.  It rained a little during the night but although clagged out a little the next morning it was dry, at least for the moment.  Breakfast consisted of my prepared porridge, with sugar, skimmed milk powder and some nuts and fruit added, which only requires the addition of some hot water and a better breakfast is hard to find, well out here anyway.
It can get busy around here