The Best Twenty Pence Ever Spent!

Glenridding Travel Blog

Glenridding and Ullswater

I eventually descended to the Gillside campsite, in Glenridding, and my first priority was unarguably a shower, I booked in at reception and the fees were about average, however I made sure I received some twenty pence pieces in the change to operate the shower meters.  I spent a luxurious ten minutes or so in the shower and was pleasantly surprised that a single coin lasted throughout, in fact although I dawdled quite a bit, it did not run out until after I eventually switched the shower off.  I spent a little while longer inside the shower block sorting out my kit applying some TLC to the areas of my anatomy that had suffered a little over the past few days.

I found a good spot to pitch my tent and then explored the campsite a little.  It is really well located, right next to a gill, hence the name, which leads into the village of Glenridding.  It is also right at the start of the path that eventually reaches the summit of Helvellyn.  The facilities are commensurate with what you would expect at a commercial campsite, showers, toilets, laundry facilities, and electric hook-ups if required.

I took the footpath into Glenridding and enjoyed a day just chilling out in the village, a coffee sat outside Greystones coffee shop and a Cornish pasty from the nearby shop were an especially welcome start.  The sun was shining for a change, and it was really a pleasant day to be in the Lakes, soaking up the sun and just recharging my batteries.  I passed the time of day with the occasional day tripper who was prepared to chat awhile.

I stopped off at the Travellers Rest pub as it seemed appropriate, for a pint of Guinness and wiled away somemore time until I began to get the feeling I might be outstaying my welcome.  You can only stretch a single pint so far, and the fact the bar staff had wiped down my table three times in the last hour an hour gave me an inkling they thought it was time I left, or bought anothr pint.  I decided to return to the campsite for something to eat, read my book for a little while, which incidentally was called “Learning to Breathe” by Andy Cave and I thoroughly recommend and then finally and hopefully get some sleep.

photo by: tridantri