Return to Santa Fe

Santa Fe Travel Blog

We'd planned on just staying at the Marriott Courtyard in Santa Fe but found it in a very inconvenient location so, after some calling around and a bit of anxiety, found ourselves in a magnificent room at the Inn of the Governors. The Inn of the Governors is a very nice hotel just 2 blocks from the Plaza. It has an outdoor pool open year-around, tea and sherry in the afternoon and a full hot breakfast buffet. They said they'd give us a king suite at the price of a deluxe king but it wouldn't be ready for 20 minutes. The good news was that they had WiFi in the lobby so I synced my e-mail and we enjoyed some sherry while we waited. When the room was available, we dropped the bags and headed back for another glass of sherry to drink as we read by the pool. Lin went up first and, when the crowd thinned out, I went to change into my bathing suit and took a quick dip.

Dinner was tapas at El Mason, a Spanish restaurant near the Plaza. Best were the lamb brochette and a goat cheese and the red and yellow bell pepper and goat cheese dish. Dessert was a sinfully good tart of macadamias, cashews and almonds with dark chocolate. There was a combo playing Latin jazz in the bar so we moved there while Lin finished off the wine and I had a magnificent 79-year old sherry (at a great price, I hastily add).

Before bed, we lit a wood fire in the corner fireplace. Life is good.

Santa Fe Hotels & Accommodations review
Wonderful Inn in Santa Fe
We really just stumbled our way into this place. We blew into town without a plan and got pretty frustrated out on a strip south of town but fortunat… read entire review
Santa Fe