Old Town and Sandia Peak

Albuquerque Travel Blog

Old Town

Just for a change, breakfast was at Millie’s near the hotel after which we spent most of the day wandering around Old Town looking in shops. One of our first stops was at Discover Balloons where we booked a flight for the next morning. It was agreed we'd be picked up at our hotel at 6:00 AM.

We bought more stuff in Old Town than we should have but had a great time. Lunch was on the patio of the Church Street Café. I've had better fajitas but the setting was ideal. We got back to the hotel at about 4:30 and... you guessed it... Lin stayed in the room and I read by the pool.

At about 5:45 we headed out for the Sandia Peak Tramway. Because of Linda's acrophobia, I told her we could forego this experience but she said she'd "give it a try".

Old Town
I said there was no "trying" involved; she gets on the tram or not. Anyway, she said "let's go," so off we went. In the tram station, a young woman gave us two chits that she said would get us 2 free tickets. She didn't want any money; saying they were good only for today and she didn’t need them. Sure enough, they were good for 2 tickets so we saved $30!

Linda was an absolute basket case all the way up. About the time she thought we had arrived at the top, we passed the other car, indicating the half-way point! This is the world's longest aerial tram and the ride takes about 15 minutes. At the top, the tram opens onto an open platform, not in a building and, to make matters worse, the wind was strong. I got Linda into the small station building where she was content to watch the small TV and look out the windows. I ran around outside taking pictures but we descended after about 1/2 hour. Lin had been a great sport and would have been content to stay longer if that's what I wanted but enough is enough. Going back down the tram was less crowded and she was able to sit on the one small seat. Whether because of that or because she was starting to feel the effects of the Bonine she'd taken earlier, she was much more relaxed going down. At Marty's suggestion, we had a tasty but simple meal at the County Line, a BBQ place near the base of the tram.

Albuquerque