Leaving Santa Fe - The First Time

Santa Fe Travel Blog

Miracle Staircase - Loretto Chapel

Time to move on. By the time we got packed and checked out, it was almost 9.

I should have known the day was doomed when, before breakfast, I had an e-mail from the office about a problem with the Fiscal 2007 budget I’d submitted on Friday. Breakfast was at Guadalupe Café, after which we visited Loretto Chapel to see the miracle staircase. What a phenomenal feat of engineering that is! While that was enjoyable, the day unfortunately went downhill from there. We had planned on visiting the cathedral as well but there was a mass in progress so we headed north. The day's ultimate goal was Taos but we decided to stop at some pueblos on the way. For some reason, we passed up Santa Clara for Ohkay Owingeh (A.K.A. San Juan) but when we got there, there really wasn't much to see. Having read about San Juan pottery since we've returned home, I really regret that we were not more aggressive bout finding some to look at. At about that point we'd noticed a sign for Ojo Caliente. Karen at the plaza had strongly recommended the Ojo Caliente Spa so we decided to check it out. All I can say is, "Ugh!!" It looked bad from the outside but we decided to take a closer look and use the rest rooms in the bargain. As we walked down the hall, there were some room doors open. "Rustic" or "basic" might be used as descriptors by the many people who apparently like the place. I wouldn't be so kind so we quickly moved on.

Loretto Chapel