Down Day in Santa Fe

Santa Fe Travel Blog

The buffet breakfast included with the room was quite good. We'd decided on a "down day" so we simply walked around the plaza and surrounding area, looking in stores and at the displays of the Indians in front of the Palace of the Governors. Lin bought jewelry for Mom for mothers' day and we visited St. Francis Cathedral.

In the New Mexico History Museum at the Palace of the Governors is a working print shop with presses of the same vintage as mine. On one was a sign saying "Adopt-a-press" explaining that they're looking for presses to put into museums. I have two old letterpresses, one large and one very small, and some other printing equipment that I'd dearly like to get rid of, so I talked to the guy at the shop. He said the geography would be a problem for him but he said there is a lot of activity in the East and recommended I just Google "letterpress".

He also gave me his card and suggested I send him a description of the equipment.

The temperature started out cool and went downhill so eventually I had to go back for a sweatshirt and jacket. We decided to drive to Tomasita's for lunch. The meal was ok but nothing extraordinary in any way. By the time we finished eating, it was very cold and starting to rain a bit so we returned to the room and Lin watched TV while I messed with the laptop. At four, we went down for sherry. Since there was nowhere to sit in the lobby, we took the sherry back to the room. I lit a fire and we drank the sherry and ate some goat cheese we'd been carrying around. Lin fell asleep while I worked on my journal.

Dinner was at the O'Keeffe Café, next to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum. The hotel’s concierge had told us that admission to all museums was free tonight from 5-8 so we were at the O'Keeffe at 6:00. I like some of O'Keeffe's work but, unfortunately, I didn't see a lot in the museum that I particularly loved. For dinner, Lin had casher-encrusted mahi-mahi and I had elk tenderloin with goat cheese. It was to die for! It was cold walking back so once again I lit a fire.

Santa Fe