Arrival in Taos

Taos Travel Blog

Rio Grande Valley

I set the GPS for Taos and it was sending me far south even though I could see on the map display what appeared to be a much more direct route via NM 567. I decided to follow that route and set off . Once I turned onto 567, the GPS dutifully picked up the scent and started giving directions for that route. Soon, I could see Taos in the distance up against the mountains. Unfortunately the one little detail I'd overlooked was the Rio Grande Gorge! The emphasis is on gorge. It's absolutely daunting and the attached picture doesn't come close to doing it justice! Suddenly, we reached the rim and the road turned to gravel as it started winding downward into the gorge. There was no guardrail and the road was narrow and rough.

Taos Plaza
Linda was a basket case! I started wondering whether we could cross the river at the bottom but when we finally got to the bottom, we crossed a small bridge over the river. The GPS then told me to turn left, heading northeast. In a mile or so, though, the road ended! I had visions of having to return the way we'd come. Fortunately we met some young men who told us we could follow the road southward along the east side of the river for "a mile or so" and we'd get to the main road to Taos. It was closer to ten miles than one but we eventually reached the paved road to Taos. Whew!

Thinking we might like it better out of town, we passed through Taos and looked for some B&B's and hotels up towards the ski valley but saw nothing we liked so returned to Taos and the Fechin Inn. Having unloaded the luggage, we walked to Taos Plaza to have a look around. The area is really quaint but we were too tired and frustrated to enjoy it. Coming across the Kit Carson Museum, we stopped for a visit and were greeted by a 4th generation niece of Kit Carson. The museum is in what was once Carson's home; it is small but quite interesting. We asked about a restaurant and the young lady recommended Michael's Kitchen, across the street from our hotel. Michaels serves basic food but service was fast and friendly and the food was plentiful and very inexpensive.

Back in the room, we spent the rest of the evening trying to figure out what to do for the balance of the week. All in all, this was not a great day!

Taos Hotels & Accommodations review
Great Place in Taos
We wandered into Taos without reservations or plans and did a fair bit of flailing around looking for a place to stay, even going as far as Taos Ski V… read entire review
Taos