Acoma

Acoma Pueblo Travel Blog

At Marty's suggestion, we had breakfast at Jimmy's, a little café less than a mile from the hotel, then set off for Acoma Pueblo. For some reason, Acoma was not in the database of my GPS so I had to resort to using a MAP! How primitive! Acoma is known as Sky City because it is situated on a 300 foot mesa. Unlike the other pueblos we'd visited, access to the pueblo is strictly controlled and is only possible with a guided tour. Until the '40's when the first movie was filmed there, the only way to reach the top of the mesa was by some narrow stairs. Because of the road, however, vans now take the tour groups to the top. We got to Acoma at about 10:45 and, because of what I assume was a school field trip, the next available tour was not until 12:15.

We were out in the middle of nowhere so it was either wait there or blow off the whole thing. We waited but it wasn't all that bad. They have a magnificent visitors’ center that had been open for only 4 weeks and the people there were great.

Our tour guide's name was Dale. She was nice in a way but seemed to have mixed feelings about outsiders. Once on the mesa and out of the van, we had to stay with the group as we followed her. There were pottery and other things for sale along the route but only a few minutes were given at each stand. We were told that at the end of the tour we could return with a "shopping guide". The tour itself took almost an hour and a half. Because we'd seen a pot we liked, we were among those who stayed to shop. Unfortunately, we had to stay as a group so everyone had to wait while we bought our item, then we had to reciprocate.

It took a lot of time but one advantage was that we got to walk through the town again at a slower pace and with fewer people. We were given the option to walk down the ancient steps or take the van. I'd have preferred the steps but the distance from the bottom of the steps to the visitors' center was pretty significant so I took the van. Now I rather regret my decision.

By the time we got back to the hotel it was well after 4:00 and I went down to read at the pool.

Marty made reservations for us at Paul's Monterey Inn. As Marty had told us, the place is a throw-back to the 50's, complete with dark paneling and black, tufted Naugahyde booths. Lin's prime rib and my filet were both excellent.

Acoma National Forest