Life's A Beach

Myrtle Beach Travel Blog

The Beach!

Trouble with traffic on The I95 greeted us that morning, so we had to improvise a new route down to Myrtle Beach. We took the I40 towards Wilmington and with 30 minute was glad we had. We had a post lunch meeting but as we began to circle Wilmington the meeting was far from our minds. Passing over the Cape Fear River and past the USS North Carolina we turned onto the coast road and towards Myrtle Beach, the weather was idyllic and the road rolled on beneath us. We stopped in Myrtle Beach for lunch at a spot called 'The Crab Shack' where the food was good and the locale just right. To walk off some lunch we took a walk along the boardwalk and past the old wooden roller coaster, now sadly derelict. Hunger sated and legs stretched we went to work. A little over an hour later and with work complete it was back on the road, along the now much preferred I40 route.

As Myrtle Beach slid into the distance I recalled my last visit some years before, when it was the throbbing, vibrant holiday destination. Full of noise and fun seekers. This time, out of season, it had been a different, more relaxed place, still Myrtle beach but somehow slightly and quietly surreal.

MZ