Here I am again on my own!

Smithfield Travel Blog

Smithfield NC

It has been FIVE years since I was last here and there has been a lot of water under the Neuse River bridge in downtown Smithfield in that time. Every time I get here, tired from the 8 1/2 hour flight from Gatwick and the hour drive from RDU, it surprises me how much has changed. There can be few more dynamically changing locations in the US than this little corner of NC but I do have to ask myself WHY? It seems miles from anywhere but for some reason and to my personal delight it seems to keep growing.

I come here primarily to work, but to me Smithfield and NC as a whole has become a great place to visit. I have spent a lot of time just driving around the state taking in the mountains to the west and the coast to the east but there will be more on those wonderful places later.

The Texas Steak House (aka the pub)

Smithfield is on the junction of I95 and US70 halfway between NYC and FLA. Now a thriving place with fantastic shopping opportunities at the Outlet Stores and some great places to stay and to eat and to drink.

Many night I've sat in the Bar of the Lone Star chewing the ear of some stray local or passing visitor whilst enjoying a few cold beers and a tasty meal. Before I know it the bar is closing and I am strolling back to my room through the pleasant night air (even in February).

Waking early in the morning I grab some breakfast, check my email and its off to work. A short drive up the 70 and my day begins. I won't dwell on that! Later 4ish it's back to the hotel for a change. Typically the early evenings I spend my time driving around the local area, maybe I'll take a walk along the river of pop to the shops before settling for a few beers a meal and a few more beers. Bliss!

Business travel is often seen as a lonely task but I always make the most of these opportunities and NC is a great place to to explore and I will take you to some of the great places that I have visited when Smithfield NC has been my temporary home some other time.

Oh I wish I was in Dixie! I will be soon!

The Jameson Inn (home)
The Jameson Inn (home)
The Harley Store
The Harley Store
The Factory Outlet Stores of Ameri…
The Factory Outlet Stores of Amer…
Selma