The Ruins at Dougga

Dougga Travel Blog

I was on my 3 hour drive to Le Kef with my father in law to pick up my mother in law, and lucky for me Dougga was on the way. Just a few days before I was checking out more cities here in Tunisia that I wanted to visit. Dougga happened to be one of them. So luckily I had a little bit of knowledge upon entering these amazing ruins. I say luckily because my father in law doesnt speak a word of english and I speak little arabic, but we always seem to manage and understand the basics. :) lots of hand gestures happening, lol. I cant tell you how much it is to enter the ruins, my father in law is a retired chief police who use to work in this area. Because he knew them well we had free access. We arrived around 8:30am and there was only 1 other bus of about 15 Italian tourists their with a guide.

It was a bit cloudy this morning which made it nice to check everything out. I believe we got through at least half of the ruins before my battery decided to go dead on my digital. ahhhh technology. But Im not to worried cause I have new family in Kef so I will be heading that directions again before leaving and will make another stop in Dougga and finish the rest of the ruins.

breif history:  In 1997, UNESCO qualified Dougga as a World Heritage Site, believing that it represents “the best-preserved Roman small town in North Africa. The city appears to have been founded in the 6th century BCE. Some historians believe that Dougga is the city of Tokaï, which was captured by a lieutenant of Agathocles at the end of the 4th century BCE; Diodorus Siculus described that city as "a city of beautiful grandeur". Check out more at.... Gives very good detail on the ruins you will encounter and the wonderful History of this town.

vulindlela says: