A day back in time

Pompeii Travel Blog

Pompeii amphitheater

Today the plan is to visit the excavations of Pompeii and Herculaneum, so it's an early start for us. The breakfast in the hotel is very sober, at least for our group: being stuffed away in some back hall. I guess we're not paying enough?

But I decided to go ahead of the group to buy train tickets...easier said than done I say: I first tried a Tabacchi, but the poor old guy didn't speak English and I don't speak enough Italian... so next try was at the station of the Circumvesuviana, the local train...I got my tickets, but the poor lady had to print 30 day tickets one by one!

From Vice Equense to Pompeii it takes about 25 minutes and the entrance of the excavations are just outside the station; that is, if you're not with a school group! We had to walk to another entrance, at the other side.

It was a better point to start the tour, though. We started with a letter by Plinius, telling the story of his uncle and the Vesuvius. it was a relaxed start: just sitting in the grass.

From there we visited the amfitheater, where David and some others performed the Haka from New Zealand; very cool! Also some snackbars were on the programm, the house of Venus in the Shell, the Luparna, forum, temple of Isis and the most famous mosaik: Cave Canem...every dutch student of latin has seen this one is his/her book!

After Pompeii it was time for some refreshments and a trip to Herculaneum. Herculaneum is a less known 'victim' of the Vesuvius, buried in 79 AD, just as Pompeii. But there are some differences: whereas New Pompeii was build besides the old city, new Ercolano is build on top of the old. Therefor the site is smaller and the difference in ground level is visable. Of Pompeii there's about 1/3 still buried, but of Herculaneum most of it is still underground. But what is visable is very worth it! Plus it ios less known and therefor less crowded than Pompeii. But the fresco's are amazing!

After Herculaneum it was back to the hotel and back to a not-so-pleasant surprise: some guests had complained about noise from our students, so we were getting other rooms: small cupboards, stuffed away in the basement! NO WAY! We called our agent and made a deal: we got to keep our rooms, we kept quiet and we got free swimming!

Haka!