EuropeItalyRome

Napoli, here we come!

Rome Travel Blog

Waiting for the bus

Today we leave Rome and go to Napoli. For me it's the first time in Napoli, so I am super excited. Adding to this is a bus being 1.5 hours late (major traffic jam on the highway) and a collague/boss being whiney about visiting the Vesuvius...aaargh, the man never participated in any planning or whatever and now he's acting like a child because he wants to see a vulcano...and he wants me to make it happen, since I speak Italian (to be honest, just enough to order food, ask directions etc.). Hey, it's your idea, you talk to the driver!

But finally we're on our way; first to Napoli, for a short city walk and then to that stupid Vesuvius (been there before; nothing but dust and stones). In Napoli we first walked to the Piazza Publica, and then a quick walk to the sea for a very refreshing breeze.

..Napoli is very diffrent from Rome: smellier, dirtier, big difference between rich and poor: cross a piazza and there is Gucci and Vuitton, go back and it's graffiti and urine smell.

And after a bumpy ride we reached the vesuvius and from the parking lot it's a 200 m. walk to the top; mind you: 200 m. height! It's doable, but you'll need a good condition, since it is like walking on sand: getting nowhere while trying...

After the vesuvius we went to the hotel in Vico Equense: a nice hotel, nice sea view, crappy service every once in a while: having to pay 10 euro for the pool pppd (and it was a small pool!) or walking 200 stairs to the beach: no problem while going down...goind up was a different story; apples for desert: no problem, but half of them was rotten and an othe group got very nice ice cream!

Napoli