EuropeItalyRome

Leaving Rome...for a day.

Rome Travel Blog

in the train to Tivoli

Today we left Rome! Don't worry, we'll return tonight, but now it's of to Tivoli...we wanted to visit the Villa d'Este and the Villa Hadriana. From Stazione Termini we took the Metro to Stazione Tiburtina. From there a train goes to Tivoli; but note: only once per hour! And it's just one track, which means waiting at stations for the other train...but hey, it's Italy and it's too hot to worry!

At Tivoli we walked to the Villa d'Este. Tivoli itself is a nice village, with small shops and narrow streets. Special thanks to the nice lady who gave directions; in Italian, but it got us where we wanted to be: Villa d'Este.

The fresco's there are worth seeing: lively colours, mythological themes etc.

..but the true attraction here is the Garden! It's green and shadowy and filled with fountains! Small ones, larger ones, enourmous ones...you name it, they have it. And it's so relaxed there just to walk around, sit and watch the water flow. I loved the 'Fountain Alley': 100 fountains and a lot of green, like paradise!

After that it was lunch time, but we forgot the Italian Siƫsta: only lunch: everything else was closed! Hmmm...try getting your bustickets...our initial plan was to walk to the Villa Hadriana, but this was discouraged by the locals: our path would be alongside a highway! So we took the bus there. But before that, I ran around trying to buy tickets...and finally succeeded! Plus I had the most delicious Green Apple Ice cream ever! Not creamy ice with a hint of apple, but real Apple Ice, mjammie!

the bus ride took about 10 minutes, followed by a walk uphill.

Villa d'Este
Villa Hadriana was the second house of emperor Hadrianus; well house doesn't quite cover it: at the prime days it housed over 20.000 people! It's a large complex of buildings, baths, ponts and his majesty's 'Sex temple'. The latter is a small rotondo or rond building, placed on in an artifical lake, where the emperor could retreat and would not be disturbed...a perfect place for secret meetings, rendez-vous and to calm down.

The students were hot and tired at this point, and I felt dirty: the Villa Hadriana is a dusty place to be. But so nice! Then it was time for the trip back: bus, train and metro, a total of 1.5 hours! Time to hit the shower and to have diner: pizza!

After diner we walked to the Colosseum and Forum Romanum: the first magnificently lighted, the last dark and empty. From there to the monument of Vittorio Emanuelle and back to the hotel for a good night of sleep...

Villa dEste