Botanical Garden on a rainy day

New York Travel Blog

New York Botanical Gardens at Bronx
Got up at 7am. Took a shower and ate breakfast at a Starbucks. After that, I took the subway to Eastern Parkway Subway Station to visit the New York Botanincal Gardens (situated in The Bronx). It's free on tuesday mornings! When getting off the subway I had to search for a while. Go east on 200th street (Bedford Park blvd) and keep on walking till you arrive at the gardens (there's a railroad station nearby).

The gardens are beautiful. In late April the blossom is everywhere. There's also a forest road. You can take a walk up that road showing the original vegetation of New York, before those damn Dutch dicided to found New Amsterdam!

On my way back to Manhattan I visited the former stadium of the New York Yankees.
View from Battery Park
It's a big stadium, but nothing really special, unless you are obsessed with Baseball (my brother is, so he's probably gonna kill me after he reads this). Took the subway further southbound to a FDNY Museum. There's been a Firehouse museum for about twenty years. It's situated in an old firehouse. It'll cost you $5 to get in (it's a donation). You can take pictures as well.
I was also interested in the FDNY nowadays. How do they put out fires on a 100th floor scyscraper? Or how about fire-safety in the subways nowadays. There was a retired firefighter who enthousiasticly told me about it.
There's a lot to be found about the history of the FDNY. You can see the actual steam fire engines and the horse driven watertenders. You can also read old reports of fires. There's a sperate space with information about 9/11. You can find all kinds of found fire equipment that was in use during the rescue operation while the towers of the World Trade Center collapsed.

After that, the sun came out and I decided to go to Battery Park. I never seen a park like this. Very nicely done with the surroundings. Unlike Central Park, Battery Park makes you feel like you're in a big city. I liked that. There're also lots of people running around the park. I walked up to 14th street and had a sub at Subway (again).