Amsterdam - Newark

Schiphol Travel Blog

I'm on the 10.30am Northwest flight directly to Newark International Airport. The flight is operated in one of the Delta Airlines Airbus 330-300. The flight is on time and we touched down at Newark at 12.15pm local time.

There's a train service towards New York City's Penn Station. A ticket is $15 one way. You'll be arriving at New York 30 minutes later. The best way to travel around is by subway. A weekcard will cost you about $25. But there will be a raise shortly. You'll have unlimeted access to the whole subway and bus network in New York City (Including Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.

I stayed in a YMCA Hostel. It's in Manhatten (Upper West Side, W 63rd street). I dropped of my bags and went immediately to Central Park. Everything I red about Central Park is true. It is THE green lung of Manhattan. At first I felt a little confused. So much green surrounded by big buildings. I quickly got used to it. After an hour walk , I  decided to get back to the hostel for some sleep.

At six o'clock I went to broadway to look for a place to have dinner. I am used to 'healthy' food. At home I rarely go to McDonalds or Burger King. It upsets my stomach. So... I didn't think it was going to be a good idea to go to a place like that in the US. (Particularly, now that I know the small size meals are in Europe large) I went to a Subway to eat a sub (the foot subs were that week on a discount, so I ate almost all week at the Subway).

It was rush hour. And NOW I now what a real rush hour is like. All lines were filled with cars and even the ambulance didn't get trough. In New York the pedestrians are in charge at the streets. Walk trough a red light, and the cars will wait. Walk trough a red light in front of a policecar, and it'll wait. Walk trough a red light in front of a NYPD Traffic Controller and that's just fine. After the evening rush hour I went to the south of Manhattan. Walked around and took a look at Ground Zero.
Schiphol