AIRPORT COMPLICATIONS

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Tourist Junk

The actual flights were okay. However, there were some complications before leaving mainland China. I experienced airline procedural problems (South African Airways SAA) at Shenzhen and subsequently Hong Kong because of only having a one way flight ticket Hong Kong HK - Johannesburg JNB - Buenos Aires EZE. South African Airways SAA wanted me to purchase a return flight from Buenos Aires EZE - Johannesburg JNB for about $US3000. My original one way flight ticket HK-JNB-EZE only cost around $US1200. Each time, the check-in counter conferred with South African Airlines, SAA were completely inflexible with their procedural policy, No consideration was given to the fact that I had more than sufficient funds on me, as well as prebooked accommodation. Also, the city I was flying to (Buenos Aires) is situated on a river that borders a neighbouring country (Uruguay), which I could easily catch a one or two hour boat to. Visas available on arrival in both destinations.

As a result, I got my good Chinese friend (Christine) in Shanghai to contact the Caballito (Buenos Aires, Argentina) guesthouse owner Giorgio (based in Sicily, Italy), who in turn contacted the manager Anastasia (Ana) in Buenos Aires.

HK Sidewalk
She then purchased a $US40 boat ticket for me to Colonia, Uruguay (for the 2nd July) and faxed a copy to China. This satisfied the onward travel requirements of the airline. It is fortunate that I allowed many hours in advance for any potential problems, as all this delay and waiting in ferry terminals and airport check-in counters took about 6 hours. Once onboard the plane out of HK, nothing out of the ordinary happened. Next morning, I only had to wait a couple of hours in Johannesburg for the connecting flight to Argentina.

HK Night Street

Having previously stayed in Hong Kong, there is no reason this time for me to do the same again. Nevertheless, HKIA -  Hong Kong International Airport is an easy and convenient gateway to other parts of the world. Certainly by Asian standards, living or staying in Hong Kong is expensive.For example, a man's simple haircut can cost ten times more than on mainland China. The service is not ten times better.

SkyPier at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) provides speedy ferry service for transit passengers. Operated by the Hong Kong International Airport Ferry Terminal Services Ltd, SkyPier serves six ports in the Pearl River Delta on mainland China. The estimated journey time from Shenzhen Fuyong is fifty minutes.

HK Traffic