Party City

New Orleans Travel Blog

So this weekend I went to New Orleans for a "just for the hell of it" trip with some of my college friends. It was my second time going. Friday we walked French Quarter and the French Marketplace which was just as I remembered it. I mostly like Jackson Square, around the cathedral with all of the art out. I wanted to do the 15 galleries of Julia street (free) but didn't get to it :(. Nothing too memorable from French Quarter. Just the cathedral is really pretty and Mississippi river is there to see. We also saw Bourbon street during the day which is a bad idea since it's really dirty. I did get a Voodoo Daiquiri that was worth it though. Friday night I had a fish bowl with hurricane drink in it on Bourbon street: if you want lots and lots of people to talk to you then get this drink because since it's so big everyone wants to know where you got it haha. Of course it's the hand grenades that are so sweet and deadly. Lots of what you would expect on Bourbon street, pretty fun. It's a Bachelor kind of party scene. Also we went to Cafe du Monde which is the "new orleans thing to do." They have beignets (funnel cake donuts practically). Really cheap and delicious.

Saturday my two girlfriends and I went to Riverwalk which is just a mall next to the river. Then we went to go to City Park which we did not realize was so far away. TAKE A STREETCAR! It was 20 blocks before we finally took a streetcar for the other 20 blocks. It is all the way down Canal street. It's just not safe. The streetcar is easy just ask the driver. $1.25 for a single ride. At the park it was really pretty. We just walked around and laid in the grass in the sculpture garden (pictures to come). The museum is right there but we did not make it in. We were too into the beauty outside (the complete opposite of most of the streets of New Orleans. I am so used to the power washed streets of Disney World that the often stench and random puddles of liquids and dirty pathways were not welcoming. I am not very prissy or anything, it's just not pleasing.)

City Park is definitely worth the trip. The Sculpture Garden is free and so is walking around seeing the old oak trees. We ate at the little al a cart which was reasonable and had great paninis (spelling?). That night we ate at Pie (with the math symbol for the P) by Julia Street and St. Peters by Red Eye Grill. DELICIOUS PIZZA and Caesar salad. (I know these aren't New Orleans treats but cheaper if I may say so. I did have crawfish while I was there!).

Saturday Night we went to Burboun street again and got banded for bottomless daiquiris which ended up not being very strong (go for the orange one!). We ended up doing Karaoke at a cowboy bar. Definitely A LOT of fun.

So New Orleans is not a must do. It's drinking, partying thing. THe park was pretty but not something to make special traveling plans for. It's kind of cool to say hey, I have been to new orleans. It's a bachelorette party so if that's your thing, go to New Orleans.