Almost got killed on the road

Sombrerete Travel Blog

It was Holy Friday, so after visiting the church to say our prayers we decided to hit the road towards a nearby town called Sombrerete. There's not really much to the town itself, but there is a small natural area closeby called "Sierra de Organos" in which you can find some interesting natural formations. We thought there would be places to eat there, but as we didn't find any, we decided to go to Sombrerete and eat there. No beef was allowed, so we had some roasted chicken.

On the way back this girl friend that went there with us was driving, and she almost killed us when she accidentally drove away from the highway. She later said it was too dark and she couldn't see anything (!) She should have said that from the beginning! I have better eyes :P

We arrived in time to see the Procession of Silence, which is held every Holy Friday in the cities of central Mexico. I was very impressed as I had never seen anything like it. Unfortunately the camera I had back then was terrible taking pictures at night, but the procession was awesome. There were people dressed like Ku-Klux-Klan members (aka. the executioners) and drumming in a very solemn way. Other people were carrying crosses and images of Our Lady of Sorrows and the Stations of the Cross. Being from the north, I knew that central Mexico is still very devotely catholic, but I had never experienced it live. It was extraordinary.

Sombrerete