Ljubljana Travel Blog

Although very sad to leave Lake Bled and the beautiful surrounds, we arrived into Ljubljana with high expectations as everyone we'd met so far had said it was a really pretty place. We were not disappointed, the old town is a short walk away from the main train/bus station, and the buildings there felt really quirky and individual.

There was St Nicholas' Church, with it's macabre door carving of bishops looming over an inert body (strange yet fascinating), and the little market square with it's load of colourful stalls selling fresh fruits, vegies and flowers. The much-anticipated Dragon Bridge was perhaps not as ornate as expected, but the dragons were certainly impressive!

Making our way by funicular up to the castle, we stepped into an ultra modern reception area and made our way up medieval stone steps into a courtyard which was a strange mix of old buildings and retro-artwork.
Many of the old chambers of the castle held modern art displays, and it was all a little surreal but interesting. There were major renovations going on at the time, which meant a large part of the castle was not open, but it still afforded awesome views of the surrounding city.

It was like looking over a sea of burnt orange roofs and sort of reminded me of the roof-scapes in Florence.

Getting back down the hill, we walked along by the still green waters of the main canal, also lined by modern paintings and photo art on the steep concrete sides. We crossed an overly ornate bridge to the main square where the very pink Franciscan Church presided over a crowd of people watching musicians playing. Crossing the cobbled square, we continued down the canal which was lined with chic cafes and bars, and eventually found ourselves a cute little cafe to have an, of course, delicious lunch in.

I was amazed that we managed to cover the old town in about 3 hours, and as we headed out of the city on the airport bus, I realised the majority of Ljubljana is actually very modern and there wasn't a quaint or colourful building in sight. There is nothing like that dragging feeling of not wanting to leave a country, and I definitely had that waiting for our plane in the airport. The words "When can I come back?" kept echoing around in my head.
photo by: Chokk