Lake Bled

Bled Travel Blog

From the moment our plane touched down in Slovenia and we started out the doors of the airplane I knew I was going to like this place.
1) It was warm
2) The sky was achingly blue
3) The customs officer SMILED at me as I handed her my passport
4) My bag came out first in the baggage area

What more could I ask for?! However, I was to be continuously pleasantly surprised over the coming days. Everyone in Slovenia was so friendly and hospitable, I was totally blown away by how helpful and genuine they all were. We went straight from the airport to Lake Bled, the place is amazing for how peaceful and beautiful the surrounds are. The lady at our hostel was uber-friendly, and so helpful with pointing out the best things to do and places to eat.

We started out at Bled Castle, which sits on a cliff over the lake - such a pretty little place, and it looked like it was totally setup for those ultra romantic weddings you see in brochures. Really enchanting, and the views over the lake were even better! The water appears to change colour in certain light, from an achingly deep blue to a more shimmery green then a moody grey over the evenings.

Taking a walk around the lake is also easy and refreshing - you can swim at the end opposite the town, and the waters were frigid but clean when we jumped in. Our only problem was getting out again, as you have to pull yourself up onto the jetty, and my pigeon-wing arms were obviously not up to the challenge (much to my ultimate embarrasment). I was left with legs waving in the air for a time, finally managing to flop over in an unsightly belly roll.
All part of the fun!

We also heard rumours about a local speciality cake, though we never did find out the official name of it. The words "I would like to try that cake..." were usually enough to have the wait staff at any cafe give a knowing wink and whisk off to get a slice of the heavenly dessert. Of course, we had to sample it at several different places to determine which bakery actually made THE BEST traditional cake in Bled, and this was done with much enthusiasm over our time there.

Every meal we had was absolutely delicious. Pork seemed to be a local speciality too, as well as squid. Everything was fresh and tasty and reasonably priced, the sauces especially were supreme and Italian food was excellent (Italy being only 10 miles away over the mountains!).

I am already thinking of how I can get back here for a return visit...
photo by: wilber85