First Day in Fiji
Nadi Travel Blog› entry 2 of 15 › view all entries
Okay, My First Day In
1) Spent a LONG time getting off of the plane and through customs after becoming the self appointed caretaker of a blind Hindu Holy Man (not kidding, thats got to count for some good karma), so had to get us both through the gates and him to his family etc.
2) Meet Melissa, we quickly get caffine, I will need it.
3) Head to Melissa’s house on stilts (which is inside a barbed wire barricade with 6 dogs to keep out intruders, apparently theft is a problem), still elated in seeing my first “lifetime” bird, the Myna, to my list of birds seen.
4) We decide to go to the Kula Eco Park, on the south bit of the island, on the way there, and on the way back I see the following birds in the wild (skip this if you are not a bird type person!)
-Wattled Honeyeater (and while trying to see this bird, smashed my toe on a rock, causing a lot of blood to cover my flip flop, which I allowed to bleed until I finally saw that stupid fast jumping ADD bird– my first aid kit has been chrisened)
-Orange Crested Myzomla
-White Collared Kingfisher
-Red breasted Bulbul
-Easter reef Heron (Majestic White bird, totally awe inspiring to see one)
-White Rumped Swiftlet
*And one other heron, that was all black with bright yellow legs, as yet unidentified
5) I also see a fruit bat flying through the sky, a little gecko like lizard, a mongoose scuttling around the grass, countless goat, pigs, horses, chickens, dogs wandering around in the road (or tied loosely with a string) in ALL parts of Fiji.
Anyways, its been a long day and Jet lag is taking its toll, so I will say bye bye for now!