Loafing at the resort

Saint Thomas Travel Blog

Waverunner trip

Lazy day. Lin and I had planned on going to town but the doorman, Simon, said there were 6 ships in town so we decided to just veg at the resort. After breakfast all but Lin took a Wave Runner tour. Lindsay, the guide, rode on the first machine, then Steve and Noah, then Krista, then me. At first I was wishing Lin had ridden with me but when we got outside the bay I was delighted she hadn't. The sea was rough and we were going 30-40 MPH. There were times my machine was totally out of the water. Linda would have been a basket case. We slowed down a bit in Charlotte Amalie harbor but not a whole lot. Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas plus Costa's Fortuna were at the dock and two Holland America ships were anchored in Crown Bay.

Bolongo Bay
I never did see the 6th ship. When we were almost back to the resort, Lindsay said we were a little early and invited us to just play around. I wish she'd done that on the way out because I'd have been a lot less apprehensive if I'd learned just how stable the machine was.

After lunch I decided to take a Sunfish out and that was a big mistake. McCoy, one of the beach attendants, checked me out quickly but even on the checkout trip, the sheet caught on my life jacket twice and I had trouble getting it unhooked. Noah went out with me and I didn't realize he had never sailed before. Consequently my warning that we were about to tack meant nothing and he got hit with the boom. Worse, the wind was gusty as hell. I got hit suddenly by a gust from the other side, my jacket hung on the sheet and over we went.

Limbo Noah
I had it righted immediately and off we went again. The next time, though, the boat turtled on me and I could not right it. Lindsay came out with a Wave Runner, helped me right the boat and took Noah in. I was feeling a bit bad about my ineptitude; I haven't flipped a boat in decades. However, a woman next to us on the beach said her family has a Sunfish, a Hobie and a Hunter 22 on Lake Norman and her husband had flipped the Sunfish the day before. Lin went to take a nap, the kids moved to the pool and I read on the beach 'til almost 5:30.

Wednesday is Carnivale Night so we had the buffet at Iggy's and watched the show, which was actually quite good. Judy was the best server we had for any meal; she was fast, efficient and friendly.

Yet another iguana