A Day in St. John

Saint John Travel Blog

Ferry to St. John
Today's plan was a visit to St. John so we agreed we'd get an early start. By prior arrangement Noah called at 7 to say they were up. We ate breakfast together and were at the car ferry dock at Red Hook by just after 9. Loading the ferry was a real fire drill as the "Mister B" appears to be a converted military landing craft so everyone has to back in. Consequently, the process took forever and it was after 10 when we got to Cruz Bay. We were on our way to Trunk Bay which meant driving through the town of Cruz Bay itself. There had been a traffic accident in town so everything was jammed solid. Impatient as I am, I decided to turn right instead of left so we took the LONG way around. In that we had to negotiate innumerable hairpin turns over a mountain, the ride was pretty scary but we had some breathtaking views.
Trunk Bay
It was about 11 by the time we reached Trunk Bay. The surf was a tad rough and the snorkeling visibility was only fair so we didn't snorkel. By about 1 we left for Cruz Bay, parked and had a delightful lunch at the Waterfront Bistro. After shopping a bit we headed for the ferry dock in time for the 3:30 ferry. It was fortunate we were early as it pulled out at 3:20, right ahead of the 3:00 boat from the other company. This ferry, the "General II" was smaller than the "Mister B" and much less crowded. We were back at the hotel by 4:00 and headed for the pool. We met at 6:00 for dinner at Iggy's. The special was all-you-can-eat crabs legs so all 3 of "the kids" had that. Lin had skirt steak that she liked. I had cocoanut shrimp that was only OK. Noah wasn't feeling well and I really didn't want desert so he and I quit early and returned to our room where he watched TV while I read and wrote.
jhwelsch says:
Honestly, I'm not sure. My guess is there is some way of getting to the ferry dock in St. Thomas but I'm not sure. Once you are on St. John's though, there is transportation redily available. Check the ferry schedules but as I remember they run from early to late so you should have lots of time.
Posted on: Mar 10, 2010
TravellingAuntie says:
is the trip to st. john's easy if you don't have transport? and once you're there - is there time enough to do a hike?
Posted on: Mar 10, 2010
Ferry Ride to St. John
Glad thats not my van!!!
Glad that's not my van!!!
St. John
St. John
Trunk Bay
Linch at Waterfront Bistro, Cruz B…
Linch at Waterfront Bistro, Cruz …
Welcoming Committee