Arrival in St. Thomas

Saint Thomas Travel Blog

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort

We were up at 3:45 (yuck!) and on the shuttle bus at 4:35. Unfortunately US Airways check-in didn't start until 5. We were told when we booked that we did not have seat assignments but seats popped up when we checked in. Unfortunately, they sucked and there was no changing them other than amongst ourselves. In the end, Lin was alone in the second to last row, I was alone (but at least on an aisle) in 14, Krista was with Noah and Steve was alone in a center seat across the aisle from them. Though we took off a tad late, we arrived in Charlotte Amalie a bit early. The wind at the airport was gusting to 30 so the pilot was busy but he greased it in.

The Explorer we had reserved from Budget was not avail but after a LOT of grief we got a Jeep Wrangler and were off.

Driving to the hotel via Charlotte Amalie was a real treat, especially since they drive on the left but use cars with the wheel also on the left.

We got checked in to the hotel by about 2:00 and had lunch at Iggy's. After lunch, Lin took a little nap while I sat on the beach. Later, we boarded the resort’s 53-foot “Heavenly Days” for the 2-hour “Catamaran Sunset Tour”. I naturally spent most of it talking to the captain, Peter. The wind was gusting to 25-30 and the seas were a bit rough so it was a great trip. The wind was fluky so, like the pilot, Peter was working damned hard! Having sailed since I was a kid, I usually ask for a trick at the wheel but with the wind conditions, I didn't want to even ask. Unfortunately, there was little color in the sunset but we still had a great time.

We'd made 7:30 reservations at the Lobster Grill. Some of the reviews said the food at Bolongo Bay was terrible but I strongly disagree, at least as to the food at the Lobster Grille. OK, it's not Michelin quality but still very good; certainly much better than cruise food. I had tuna appetizer, Caribbean Caesar salad, Duck in mango sauce and "Bushwacker" crême brulée. All were great but the crême brulée was the best I've ever had. Service was friendly if very slow but hey, this is the islands! The only issue was that Noah was really fading fast; it had been a hard day for all of us but especially for him. We gt to bed around 10, I guess.

From our room
Lots of iguanas!
The catamaran sunset sail
The catamaran sunset sail
Saint Thomas Hotels & Accommodations review
Not fancy but not bad, either
We did a fair bit of online research before selecting Bolongo Bay and, as with all things, there were conflicting reports. Certainly, this is not a fa… read entire review