Mediterranean, Paella and hot hot heat

Barcelona Travel Blog

> hello everybody again!
> Once again I can't really remember when I sent the last email, but I'll try to fill you all in on whats been happening over here!
> We've been enjoying the sunny meditteranean beaches for around two weeks now... now that I think of it I can't believe how long its been since I sent that last email! Time flies etc...
> After quite a long, hot drive from near Madrid, through Cuenca - where there were amazing houses perched on the edge of a cliff, their balconies literally looking down over a 50 metre drop - we arrived in the Valencia region, amongst endless orange plantations and beautiful beaches. Well some beautiful - others not so. For instance the first beach we came to which had a huge factory on it. But after a bit of searching we found a nice (weird) little campsite where we had a bungalow for a couple of days, and we explored the area. We ended up skipping Valencia, as the area was pretty hot, reminded us of surfers paradise, and we felt we might enjoy the coast towards Barcelona a touch more.
> Our plan was to drive to the North of Barcelona where we knew there were a bunch of campsites, but about 120kms south we happened across a street with 3 campsites in a row... each one like club med for campers. The one we chose had a pool, gym, three bars, a cafe, a supermarket, a gift shop with its own souvenirs, Paella night (8 euros for paella, sangria, salad and people wearing funny spanish hats), and the festival of St. Juan - which is midsummers night eve, an excuse to eat heaps and shoot fireworks all night long.
> Needless to say we enjoyed this place, especially watching such spanish customs as letting your children stay up all night every night, even when they're barely able to walk, long lunches and late dinners. We also finally bought a table and a small stove here, which has made life a LOT more enjoyable!
> Our next stop was just north of Barcelona, about 20 kms or so along the beach. We spent a week or so there, and spent most days in Barcelona just exploring the various areas of the city, and eating the best tapas lunches ever ( I have lots of photos of this food...)
> Barcelonas main street, Las Ramblas, is a long walk from the central square towards the beach, and has an incredibly array of street performers, flower shops and cafes - and off to either side are the different sections of the old town, and various tourist sites, such as one of Gaudis houses (closed), and the Picasso museum (closed). We also made the trip out to see Gaudis immense Sagrada Familia Cathedral, but as the queue was at least 1 hour long, in 38 degree heat, and it was 12 euro each to get in, we decided to enjoy its spectacular outside instead of worrying about getting inside. Instead we caught the bus to a park which Gaudi designed, full of beautifully wonky mosaic rooftop spires, colours and curves which you associate with his designs pretty quickly once you have spent a bit of time in the city.
> We were also lucky to happen upon a traditional catalunian dance in a square one day, I forget the name of it, where a band plays some song which everybody knows, and people who are in the area all come in, link hands and do this funny little stepping dance. It was great, people kept just busting into the circle and making it bigger and bigger and bigger, complete strangers all just dancing together! we both enjoyed that immensely.
> Anyway, its really hot, so I'm going to go swim in the pool of the house which we're staying at in a place called Calonge, with some friends of mums, after which their going to show us around the area!
> Then onto France again, and goodbye to Spain (just after we figure out how to do everything!)
> Thanks again for the replys, love to hear from everyone, say hi to Nana and hopefully speak soon!
Barcelona