The rich and the poor

Medellin Travel Blog

View from cable car

So it was yet another overnight bus to get from Bogota to Medellin - and yet again, Colombian roads were the nemesis of sleep.  A twisty, windy road with a whole load of pot-holes, bloody hell was it uncomfortable! I just can't figure out how some people manage to sleep all the way through them - I guess some medication helps!

Eng, Ruaridh and I arrived at about 8am and we caught the clean and efficient metro from the North bus terminal down to El Poblado, the area where we were staying.  We decided to head to Black Sheep as we had heard good things about it.  Kelvin, the owner, checked us in gave us a quick run down of what there was to see and do in the area, which was cool and gave us some ideas.

Yes, this is the real Medellin
  The hostel is in a very nice, sanitised area of Medellin and its easy to see why people stay here a long time - its quite a change from the sometimes rough and ready areas of other cities - El Poblado could easily be in LA or Sydney.

Despite the lack of sleep I decided to head straight out with Ruaridh to see some of the city.  We caught the metro and the really cool thing about the metro in Medellin is that it connects straight to a cable car in two different parts - so you can get two great birds eye views of the city for the cost of one journey ($CP1,500/75c/45p)!  It is a bit weird as the cable cars pass over the really downtrodden areas of Medellin, where some houses are barely standing and made basically of a few planks of wood.  Riding over it in a glistening cable car just didn't seem quite right...but hey, to see how the other side live eh...

After nearly falling sleep in the cable car (it was a warm day and I was pretty damn tired!), we got off at Parque Berrio to look round the centre - to be honest, its not overly enthralling, just a couple of plazas and a whole lot of hustle and bustle.  OK if you want some action, but not if you just wanted to be somewhere quiet like us!  So after a pretty shortlived visit we headed back for a siesta, and I was still knackered later on so just popped out for some street-eats and flunked out in bed.  More energy tomorrow!

Leafy El Podlado
Leafy El Podlado
Medellin Hostels review
Friendly, lively hostel
I liked the Black Sheep. Its an established hostel, which means its a little bit worn around the edges. The decor could do with an update, but on th… read entire review
Medellin