A different perspective on things....

Foz do Iguacu Travel Blog

I got up early after chatting to a Dutch guy at the hostel who had just done some travelling through Brazil (and got some useful tips) and then got the local bus over the border to Foz do Iguacu on the Brazilian side.  easy immigration procedures, no hassle whatsoever!! Feeling a little daunted by the fact that I speak only one word of Portuguese at things stand ('Ola'!)...so some fast learning will be needed!! Even more confusing as I had just started to get used to Spanish and now have another language which is similar in some ways, but sounds quite different, could be interesting!

Foz do Iguacu is much bigger than its Argentine counterpart (apx 300,000 people live here) and after unsuccessfully getting into Hostel Bambu (the popular backpackers choice) I decided to try out the recommendation of the lady from the tourist office - Hotel Rouver.  Turns out to be a right touch - is probably a 3* hotel and she said I could get it for R$30 a night (about £9) as its out of season.  Checked in and got a huge room (4 beds!!), with TV, ensuite, the lot - brilliant!  And just as I turn up, the England v Kazakhstan game started on ESPN - life is good!

The next day I went to the see the Falls from the Brazilian side - having been, I would say you do need to see them from both sides, but if you had to choose then I would go Brazilian(!) - the views are better in my opinion - simply unbelievable! I have to say its one of the best places I have ever been, absolutely stunning, you cannot help but smile when you are looking out and see the size and power of them and the countless fantastic views and angles.

I was going to do a helicopter tour, but it was more expensive than I had thought, so got convinced to go on the Macuco Safari.

Foz do Iguacu