Zoo time

Quimbaya Travel Blog

It was an early start to leave Salento and take the bus to Armenia to meet Diana at the bus terminal for 9am.  We had planned to go to the Parque del Cafe (the kind of Disneyland of coffee!!), but when we asked about buses we were told that the park was shut on Mondays and Tuesdays - gutted! I was so looking forward to it!  So we hatched an alternative plan and Diana suggested we go to Panaca, which is a kind of farm/zoo about an hour or so away, near Quimbaya.  We jumped on the bus (CP$2,200 each), got off in the central square of Quimbaya, from where we took a bus to the park, only 15 minutes away.

Entrance to the park costs CP$17,000 (£5.50), but you can top that up to see extra shows and attractions.

We had a great day wandering round and having ridiculous photos taken with all the farmyard animals, including one enormous bull, who weighed over a tonne!!  Wouldn't want to be upsetting this fella, so I quickly posed for a photo (at Diana's request), before hotfooting over to the goat pen.  It's more of a park for kids, but even as adults you can still have great fun seeing all the different varieties of horses, dogs, pigs, sheep, llamas, birds, guinea pigs etc....Diana, especially, loved it as she loves her animals!  Lucikly we had good weather (as its all outdoors) and we eventually headed back to Armenia around 4pm so Diana could get off to her evening class (uni's have very weird hours over here!) and I decided to organise myself to get the ovenight bus down to Pasto.

Had a few hours to kill as Bolivariano bus to Pasto (CP$44,000/GBP13.50) was due to leave at 8pm....well, that turned into a few more hours until it eventually turned up at 10.15pm.  And despite being pretty damn tired at this point, it was another restless night on the Colombian road - arrggghhh!  We rolled into Pasto at about 8.30am and all I could think of was bed...

Quimbaya